Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

S3 Glacier Deep Archive

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
swits1156

S3 Glacier Deep Archive

Post by swits1156 »

Does Syncback pro offer support for S3 deep archive?
Swapna
Expert
Expert

Re: S3 Glacier Deep Archive

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

Note SyncBackPro V8 supports file backup to Glacier through Amazon S3 (not directly to Glacier). Once the files are copied to S3, Amazon does the pushing automatically from S3 to Glacier based on the lifecycle rules set in S3. Therefore, you can use SyncBackPro V8 to backup files to S3 Glacier Deep Archive. For additional details, please read Amazon Glacier article.

However, it’s not possible to restore files from Glacier Deep Archive using V8. This feature will be supported in the next major version (V9). SyncBack V9 is still a work-in-progress and we have no ETA on when it will be available.

Thank you.
anocs

Post by anocs »

IMHO now Amazon did some kind of shifting and allowed Glacier "type" under the S3 hood as the tiering option (Storage Class of S3)

anocs

Post by anocs »

tonylim

Post by tonylim »

Swapna wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:47 am
Hi,

Note SyncBackPro V8 supports file backup to Glacier through Amazon S3 (not directly to Glacier). Once the files are copied to S3, Amazon does the pushing automatically from S3 to Glacier based on the lifecycle rules set in S3. Therefore, you can use SyncBackPro V8 to backup files to S3 Glacier Deep Archive. For additional details, please read Amazon Glacier article.

However, it’s not possible to restore files from Glacier Deep Archive using V8. This feature will be supported in the next major version (V9). SyncBack V9 is still a work-in-progress and we have no ETA on when it will be available.

Thank you.
Can SyncBackpro backup to AWS S3 Glacier or Glacier Deep Archive now?

While we can use lifecycle to move files from S3 to Glacier or Glacier Deep Archive, it would be best if we can store data in S3 Glacier Deep Archive directly.

The below is extracted from AWS website:

"Q: How do I get started using S3 Glacier Deep Archive?

The easiest way to store data in S3 Glacier Deep Archive is to use the S3 API to upload data directly. Just specify “S3 Glacier Deep Archive” as the storage class. You can accomplish this using the AWS Management Console, S3 REST API, AWS SDKs, or AWS Command Line Interface. "
Swapna
Expert
Expert

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

SyncBackPro V9 does not support direct backup to Glacier.

Thank you
Peterman

Post by Peterman »

Hi, when will SyncBackPro will support direct backup to Glacier / Deep Archive ???

It's a question of migration from another backup SW to SyncBackPro fro me...
keithl
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by keithl »

I am about to give up on this ask. I need to go to Glacier deep archive direct and have 30+TB and am about to look at something like Cloudberry or something that can go direct to Glacier.
mickyj
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by mickyj »

Hi, V9 has supported Glacier Deep Archive for a while (since July 2019). But as Swapna said, it's to the S3 interface and not directly to Glacier.
keithl
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by keithl »

Well that was not the ask, the ask to support writing direct to Glacier. Other products can do it. I will keep my SyncBack Pro renewed, btu I have moved on to Cloudberry as it can write direct to Glacier Deep Archive. In their legacy mode it works very similar to SyncBack Pro, just at a much higher cost and not as flexible. But it allows me to get my 25TB direct to Glacier Deep Archive and Azure Archive. Where I was paying $125+ a month for BackBlaze I can now spend around $50 and have a copy of my daya in Azure Archive and S3 Glacier Deep Archive. If I use SyncBackup Pro it will cost a fortune to get the data to S3 then have rules to drop it to lower class storage.
mickyj
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by mickyj »

Hi, you don't need lifecycle rules to move it to from S3 to Glacier, just set the storage class to Glacier Deep Archive in SyncBackPro. For transfer pricing (to upload it) from their pricing calculator the upload transfers are free for Glacier and S3.

We did plan on supporting Glacier directly some years ago, but for various reasons decided not to. Archiving (and long-term data backup) have requirements that need to be supported (and defined) correctly that are not in SyncBackPro. To do it right we'd really need a different product (which we did look at doing).