Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

mirror vs backup

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
cspgsl

mirror vs backup

Post by cspgsl »

Can anyone tell me if there is any sense in running both a mirror and a backup profile for the same data?
Thanks
mmullins_98
Expert
Expert

Re: mirror vs backup

Post by mmullins_98 »

Run one or the other.

An Explanation of the Backup Process
A backup copies files in one direction: from the source to the destination.
Note that a backup is not a synchronize process.

An Explanation of the Mirror Process
Mirroring ensures that one drive (or folder) contains the same files as another drive (or folder). It is not the same as a backup because it deletes files. It is also not the same as synchronization because it only copies files in one direction.
cspgsl

Post by cspgsl »

Thanks for your reply. I had read about the parameters of each type of process, and after giving it more thought, and realizing that space on the local backup drive is not an issue, I created both a mirror and backup for one simple reason. If the need ever arises that a restore is required, then I would do it from the mirror as that will hold all of the files that were lost.

I created a backup as well of the same data because, if 2 or 3 days or weeks or months elapse since a file is deleted from my HDD, in error, the backup will still have that copy with which I can restore the lost file.

It may seem like overkill, but with lots of space available on the local backup drive, it seems that I have the best of both worlds.

I have also created a mirror to my online storage for redundancy.
lorvey

Post by lorvey »

I have been asking myself this same question-Mirror vs Backup. The documentation is not real clear on this indicating that Mirror deletes files on the destination drive if the same files are not on the source drive. But if you look closely at the configuration options for a Backup profile, you can also configure it to delete files on the destination drive if they are not on the source drive. I have come to believe based on my minimal testing that a Backup profile and a Mirror profile can be configured to function the same. I wish Support would more clearly address this issue.

I wonder how a Restore would work using either of these profiles. Does a Restore from a Backup profile use a Differential file or Incremental files? And does a Restore from a Mirror profile not require a Differential or Incremental files? Again I wish Support would clarify this issue in their documentation.
Swapna
Expert
Expert

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

We have answered via your parallel support ticket.

Thank you
Nicole

Post by Nicole »

Hi,
Can anyone tell me what is the difference between mirror and backup?
Thank you.
Kostas
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Kostas »

Nicole wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:42 pm
Hi,
Can anyone tell me what is the difference between mirror and backup?
Thank you.
https://help.2brightsparks.com/support/ ... and-mirror