Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Retry on fail

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
rustleg
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Retry on fail

Post by rustleg »

Sometimes a daily automatic backup fails because the existing file can't be opened. This is usually a transient problem but I couldn't find any mechanism to automatically retry it after a delay. This often means I miss the backup of one particular day's versions. When I need to go back to find a file I created a few days or weeks ago, my archive of backups doesn't have that day's backup.

If I'm missing something please point me to how to do it. If not is there a good reason why this facility isn't built in? Ideally we should be able to select the delay before retry and the maximum number of attempts.
Vinck7

Re: Retry on fail

Post by Vinck7 »

Maybe you've long since solved that. If not, maybe you could try this:
Simply make a copy of the profile, giving it a suffix, e.g., "_2", and schedule it for any time of your choosing after the original has run.

Depending on the amount of data being handled, and assuming you don't manually alter the files in the destination, you could use Fast Backup,
so the run times are minimal.
rustleg
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by rustleg »

Thanks for the suggestion, it's been a while since I posted this, I had forgotten about it.

If I've already backed up then the workaround would create a duplicate. I suppose I could investigate ways to abort the second one if the first has succeeded. Maybe SB would abort itself if the destination zip file already contains all the files being backed up?

Seems a pity to use a complicated work around when this is a useful feature that the developers could add to enhance the product.
fastnetpoll

Post by fastnetpoll »

Vinck7 wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:33 am
Maybe you've long since solved that. If not, maybe you could try this:
Simply make a copy of the profile, giving it a suffix, e.g., "_2", and schedule it for any time of your choosing after the original has run.

Depending on the amount of data being handled, and assuming you don't manually alter the files in the destination, you could use Fast Backup,
so the run times are minimal.
Clearly, I tried installing Fast Backup and yes the speed improved quite a bit.