Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

OneDrive and modified date

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
busted

OneDrive and modified date

Post by busted »

Hello

When I upload files to my OneDrive through SyncBack Pro it changes modified date on the files to today’s date.

When I upload files through OneDrive (program or browser) it keeps the files modified date.

Why does SyncBack Pro change the date? I would like to keep the original modified date.
I know it changes create date, and that is ok.
Kostas
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: OneDrive and modified date

Post by Kostas »

Hi,

The OneDrive REST API that SyncBackPro is using doesn't allow us to set the last modified date for uploaded files.

It seems that this may change in the future if they decide to go ahead with the change to allow apps to set the date values via the API.

Here is the link to the discussion forum: http://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/26 ... te-time-of

You may vote for this change in order to add more weight to the demand for this feature. :D

Thanks,
Kostas
[2bs]
syncbackveteran
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by syncbackveteran »

The feature is now added to OneDrive as API.

Please integrate the API in Syncback to enable this critical date feature.

http://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/26 ... te-time-of

Thank you
Kostas
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Kostas »

Hi,

Thank you for your comment and input. We'll have a look at it and see if it's really available for use but keep in mind that changes will take time to implement as this is a new and different API compared to the one we are using now right now :)

Thanks,
Kostas
[2bs]
syncbackveteran
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Thanks Kostas for looking into it. Yes their APi seems to fully work (it looks like SmartFTP was updated according to new API in August and is now able to post the correct timestamp with OneDrive).
This update will be really useful since the OneDrive cloud feature in V7 SyncBack Pro is currently broken as one cannot do a backup/sync/mirror (since default profile is to do such based on timestamps; which is what users usually wants).
Looking forward to this update.
Thanks to all the team!
Kostas
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Kostas »

We've looked into the new API but we've identified some bugs while testing it and had them reported to the API development team. So it may take some considerable time until the new API will be used with SyncBackPro.

Thanks,
Kostas
[2bs]
syncbackveteran
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Thanks so much. Hope the OneDrive API team will responds and fix it soon. Thanks Kostas for prompt replies and action. Finger crossed
rpl

Post by rpl »

Using backup feature to OneDrive was the main (only) reason for buying SyncBackPro. Not supporting comparison based on modification date/time (because of storing current date/time on OneDrive) is really disappointing.

What is the current recommended way of configuring backup to OneDrive?
Is it advisable to set "Do not replace newer files with older files" or "Ignore file modification date & time"?
Is there another way of SyncBackPro of remembering what version of a file was backed up (from log/journal file)?

Since I am mostly backing up personal photo/video materials (which files hardly ever change) options mentioned above feel save to set, right?
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

Many cloud services including OneDrive does not allow the last modification date & time of a file to be changed (which SyncBackPro uses by default to detect the differences on both sides), instead the server will set the last modification date/time stamps of the file to the date/time stamps when it is uploaded to the server.   

To get around such limitations, SyncBackPro creates/builds a local database (cloud db) to store the details of the files that cannot be stored on the cloud service (i.e. stores the meta-data of the files). So that in the next profile runs it will use the cloud database (created in #Run 1) to identify the file differences and copies only new/changed files from Source to OneDrive.

Therefore, I would suggest you to use the default settings of a OneDrive profile and conduct complete evaluation tests to see if SyncBackPro is suitable for your requirement.

Thank you.