Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

does syncback encrypt?

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
Mp4

does syncback encrypt?

Post by Mp4 »

Does Syncback encrypted before it leaves your computer?

Like ARQ?
mickyj
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: does syncback encrypt?

Post by mickyj »

Hi, there are two types of encryption: transmission and storage. In regards to cloud storage, if you enable the HTTPS option then data is transmitted encrypted (both ways). There are similar options for FTP, email, etc. You can also store files encryption (via compression). So the short answer is yes.
Mp4

Post by Mp4 »

Thanks MickyJ

can you use HTTPS for Google Cloud/Amazon S3 / Amazon Drive Etc.
Mp4

Post by Mp4 »

Sorry I have seen the HTTPS but its grey, as ive already authed with Google Drive so im gussing id have to delete the DB and do it again?

Good to know as i was going to use ARQ to use with S3 as a test so ill see what SB is capible of.
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Post by cliffhanger »

Hi - as per the contextual Help on that Cloud settings page (my italics, etc)

Use encrypted (https) connection: If this option is enabled then all communication with the cloud servers is encrypted. This does not mean the files are encrypted, it means that all the communication is encrypted. Note that encrypting the connection may reduce performance. If you want to store your files encrypted you must use the encryption settings. This setting is not relevant for Google Drive™, OneDrive™, Dropbox™, Box or Amazon Cloud Drive™ because an encrypted connection is always used.

Of course, mickyj couldn't be sure that would apply to you, as you didn't originally mention which cloud service you planned to use.

Note: I don't use Cloud myself now (very poor upstream rate here..), so probably can't offer any follow-up guidance. Just happened to be passing, and knew this from reading the Help ;)
Mp4

Post by Mp4 »

VERY helpful cheers Cliffhanger!
Mp4

Post by Mp4 »

Looking up on ARQ Backup and it uses Encryption keys? before any data is uploaded to the cloud.

I think SB can do this?

"QUOTE"

Archive for the ‘backup’ Category
« Older Entries
Where’s the Export My Stuff button in this app?

By Stefan Reitshamer

March 4th, 2015

I’d love to use a note-taking app instead of the plain text files I’ve been using for years. I’d love the multimedia features, the searching. But every time I hear of a great one, I hesitate before jumping in. I wonder what’ll happen to the notes I create. I look for an Export button, but don’t find one.

Why does the stuff I create have to be trapped in the app? It’s my stuff, right?

Companies are, wittingly or unwittingly, offering to become stewards of my data. That’s a big responsibility. And companies don’t seem to take it very seriously.

Woven was a “free photo viewing app” with a home page that said, “Your photos may live in many places, but they only have one home.” That was last year. Now the home page is a big thank-you to their users and oh, by the way, “After April 6th, we will delete all of your personal data, photos, and videos.” If you missed this notification, or if you don’t follow the steps they outlined to request and then download your data, by the deadline, your stuff will be gone forever.

Last night at TechHub Boston the folks from HeyNow previewed their new chat app. It looked very nice. But they only store the past 30 days of chats; everything is deleted after 30 days. They said it was “impossible” (from a UI perspective I guess) to navigate conversations that were more than 30 days old. I don’t know what that means, but if the data were still available I imagine a UI could be created to make it more possible. I occasionally reference emails from years ago. As communication moves from email to chat, will I lose that ability?

I understand it’s much more convenient for the stuff I create to be stored in the cloud. It just isn’t a good permanent solution, especially if it’s someone else’s cloud. It’s not realistic for a company to promise to be responsible for my stuff forever. Companies come and go, and change. Just give me an Export button for my stuff and we’re good.

Posted in backup, cloud | Comments Off
Arq Backs Up to Your Dropbox Account

By Stefan Reitshamer

February 23rd, 2015

Arq 4.8 is now available, and it includes support for backing up to your own Dropbox account!

If you already have a Dropbox with 1TB of space, now you can use that space for your Arq backups. The Arq backups go into the folder /Apps/Arq in your Dropbox account.

As always, all your data are encrypted before they leave your computer, using a password that only you know, so your files are safe and secure; and the backups are in an account that you control. All the other features of Arq apply as well, including versioned backups, full OS X metadata backups, email notifications, and the ability to restrict which wifi networks Arq uses.

You can even combine Dropbox with other destinations in Arq. For instance, you can back up all your files to both Dropbox and your SFTP server. Or back up some files to your Dropbox account, some files to your Google Drive account, some files to your Amazon account, and some files to your SFTP server. It’s entirely up to you. For example, I’m backing up a variety of folders to 4 different destinations:

Screen Shot 2015 02 23 at 11 02 39 AM

This update is free for all Arq 4 customers. Pick “Check for Updates” from Arq’s menu to get the update. Or download it here: Download

- Stefan

Tags: backup, dropbox
Posted in arq, backup, dropbox | Comments Off
Arq Backup to AWS Frankfurt Region

By Stefan Reitshamer

October 28th, 2014

Amazon Web Services just announced their new Frankfurt region 5 days ago, and now Arq supports it!

So if you’d like your data to stay in Germany, give Arq a try!
Starting with Arq in Germany

To get started, download Arq and launch it; choose Amazon, and choose the “EU (Frankfurt)” region:

Backup to AWS Frankfurt

Then enter your key pair, and that’s it! Arq will, by default, back up your home folder. (You can add other folders if you wish.)
Adding Germany to Arq

If you’re already using Arq, pick “Check for Updates” from Arq’s menu to get the update. Then go to Arq’s preferences and add a destination; choose Amazon and choose “EU (Frankfurt)” for the preferred AWS region:

AWS EU Frankfurt

Then choose a bucket name:

EU Frankfurt bucket

Back in the main window, pick “Add Home Folder to Backups” from the menu, or select “To Amazon Frankfurt” and click “Add a Folder to Backups” to add specific folders:

Add Folder to AWS Frankfurt

Posted in arq, backup, encryption, s3 | Comments Off
It’s not about the encryption. It’s about the encryption keys

By Stefan Reitshamer

October 16th, 2014

There’s a lot of talk on the interwebs about encryption. Encryption is a necessary but not sufficient condition for maintaining control of your data. Controlling access to the encryption key is just as important.

Lots of articles that reference encryption fail to mention this, and that’s confusing for people who are not crypto experts. For example, a recent TechCrunch article about Edward Snowden and Dropbox paraphrases Snowden recommending SpiderOak because Dropbox “doesn’t support encryption.” In the very next paragraph it quotes Dropbox saying all files “are encrypted while traveling and at rest on Dropbox’s servers.” Then it says the difference between SpiderOak and Dropbox is that SpiderOak “encrypts the data while it’s on your computer, as opposed to only encrypting it ‘in transit’ and on the company’s servers.” It circles around the key issue but never says it explicitly.

When you read things like, “All files sent and retrieved from Dropbox are encrypted while traveling between you and our servers”, that’s good and it guards against eavesdropping in transmit, but it misses the point. “Encrypted” is meaningless if it can be decrypted.

It’s about who controls the keys. It’s about giving keys/control to a third party who can then be compelled to give control to a government agency. If you give your unencrypted content to a third party, you’ve lost control of the content, and that’s irreversible. But if you give your content to a third party in encrypted form and also give the third party the keys (as in the case of Dropbox), you’ve still irreversibly lost control of the content.
Keep the Keys to Yourself

Encrypt your data with a key that only you know. Then send your encrypted bits to the third party. The third party only has unreadable random noise (the encrypted data) and no way to turn it into files (decrypt it).

Arq (our backup app) has been designed from day one to make sure you keep the encryption key. It asks you at setup time for an encryption key, stores it securely in your computer’s keychain, and never transmits it anywhere. To restore files to a new computer, you’ll need to use the Arq app to decrypt and you’ll need to supply it with that encryption key, or else it can’t decrypt the data.

When you read about products that include encryption, always ask yourself who has the keys.

"END QUOTE"
Mp4

Post by Mp4 »

Sorry no edit button :( its at the bottom of this text..

silly copy & paste!
Conrad Chung
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Conrad Chung »

I'm not sure the type of encryption that other backup software uses as I have not tested them. But SyncBackPro has the ability to Encrypt files (via Compression) in AES (up to 256-bits). See:

Modify > Expert > Compression > Encryption (you need to enable Compression first)

If you use this method, files are first compressed and encrypted locally before they are copied to the Destination-side. Malicious users who tries to open your files will first need to submit the correct password before they are allowed access.

Important Note: Note that you are entirely responsible for remembering the password used. It is not possible under any circumstances for 2BrightSparks to recover lost passwords.
keithl
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by keithl »

I have huge 20-50GB files I want them encrypted, but not compressed, does that option exist?
mickyj
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by mickyj »