Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Local Drive To Amazon Cloud Drive

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
dehalley
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Local Drive To Amazon Cloud Drive

Post by dehalley »

Amazon Cloud drive offers unlimited storage for $5 USD a month - total bargain! The catch is that their desktop application and browser interface are just about useless. I'm talking seriously bad. So (takes a deep breath), here's my question:

I have a lot of local online data and a pretty fast Internet connection.
When I used the Amazon interface to copy the data to their Cloud Drive, it took a long, long time (understandably).
I decided that a tool such as SyncBackPro would be a good idea, so I downloaded and installed it.
When I ran a simulation, all the files on the Cloud Drive appeared to now have the "created" and "modified" dates of the Amazon upload.
SyncBackPro saw this date difference with the originals and therefore wanted to freshly mirror every single file.
The predicted run time for such a complete mirror was over 24 days.

I'd take the hit and run the mirror if I knew for sure that somehow, I wouldn't see the exact same issue the next time I run SyncBackPro.

How does SyncBackPro deal with the changed "created" and "modified" dates on Amazon Cloud Drive?

Thanks - Don
Kostas
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Local Drive To Amazon Cloud Drive

Post by Kostas »

Hi,

The Amazon Cloud Drive (ACD) API doesn't allow third party applications to set any time related properties for the files uploaded therefore SyncBackPro has to rely on its own database to keep track of any changes it does on ACD. Since this is the first time you are running it and no database information has been collected yet, SyncBackPro has no choice but to copy everything since the only thing it can see is different timestamp values.

What I can suggest in your case, if you are 100% sure the files are the same on both source and destination, is to select all the files (or those that you think are the same) in the differences form and then right-click and select the option "Use details from Destination (ACD)". This will update the database with information from the ACD when you click Run and it won't copy those files saving you hours of copying.

Any subsequent profile runs will identify real changes and only changed files will be copied.

Hope it helps :)

Thanks,
Kostas
[2bs]
dehalley
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by dehalley »

"Hope it helps"? Oh yes, indeed it does - it saves me weeks of copying!

I saw the "Use details from Destination" option, but it wasn't clear to me exactly what that would do - I sure didn't want the source time stamps changed!

Thanks so much for the quick response - this takes a big load off my mind!

Don
Kostas
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Kostas »

dehalley wrote:"Hope it helps"? Oh yes, indeed it does - it saves me weeks of copying!

I saw the "Use details from Destination" option, but it wasn't clear to me exactly what that would do - I sure didn't want the source time stamps changed!

Thanks so much for the quick response - this takes a big load off my mind!

Don
Just a quick correction about the "Use details from..." option. I did a mistake with suggesting to use the destination details, should use the source details instead, otherwise the timestamps from ACD will be used to modify the source file timestamps.

Sorry about that :>

Thanks,
Kostas
dehalley
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by dehalley »

No worries. The Amazon Cloud Drive application gave me so little information about my upload status, that I decided to just let SyncBackPro run full bore. This is going to take forever, but accuracy trumps speed in matters such as this.
mystik1

Post by mystik1 »

I don't seem to have this option on the context menu. Please advise.
Kostas
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Kostas »

mystik1 wrote:I don't seem to have this option on the context menu. Please advise.
Hi,

When you run your profile and you get to the Differences window simply change the Action for the files you want to "Use the details from Source" before continuing the execution of your profile. You can also multi-select files and then right-click on them to select the same action.

Thanks,
Kostas
[2bs]
mystik1

Post by mystik1 »

I couldn't find it via the process mentioned. However, I pressed a hotkey...I think it was Ctrl+P (but not 100% now...that was last night) to find it. Anyway, I ended up getting it to do what I needed a different way, but Amazon is going so slow that I finally aborted it. :/
Kostas
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Kostas »

mystik1 wrote:I couldn't find it via the process mentioned. However, I pressed a hotkey...I think it was Ctrl+P (but not 100% now...that was last night) to find it. Anyway, I ended up getting it to do what I needed a different way, but Amazon is going so slow that I finally aborted it. :/
Hi,

Can you post some screenshots so we can see if we are on the same page on this?

Thanks,
Kostas
[2bs]