Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Scheduling Suggestions

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
ajs
Experienced
Experienced

Scheduling Suggestions

Post by ajs »

I have a couple of hopefully simple suggestions which I believe would of great benefit.
  1. SyncBack already has the ability to manually queue profiles, it would be usefully if this was extended by adding a profile setting so that a background periodically run profile could optionally be queued as opposed to run immediately. This would address the problem of all background profiles running at the same time when you start SyncBack. It would be good if this was an option for scheduled profiles as well but I appreciate that this may be more difficult.
  2. It would also be useful if there was an option to periodically run/queue a profile only if it has not successfully run (or silently failed) within a specified period of time, for example you could then set up something like 'If not successfully run in the last 3 hours then run every 15 minutes'. I have a number of email backups and these fairly frequently fail due to network or server issues, this option would improve the error handling options. Although I do not currently use cloud backup this option would probably also be useful in this scenario.
ajs
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Scheduling Suggestions

Post by ajs »

Is there any possibility that either of these suggestions getting into V8.

I have lots of problems with profiles failing due to short network interruptions when connecting to various servers (mostly email) over the internet. Most applications handle this fairly transparently, however this is not the case with SyncBack where the profile fails and nothing else will happen until the profile is next scheduled to run. I have one file mirror profile that is scheduled to run every 3 days, if it fails it will be another 3 days before it tries again and if fails again it will be another 3 days and so on. I also have a number of email backup profiles which fail at least 50% of the time and I normally end up having to manually run the profiles over and over again until they have successfully completed. This is becoming a major issue and something to address this issue would be worth the cost of the upgrade on its own.

The second suggestion in my original post would be a partial solution to this issue. A possibly simpler, and more flexible, approach would be to have an option to stop (or just not start) a profile from running if had successfully run within a set period of time. I could then set my email profiles to run every 10 mins but to stop (or not run) if the profile has successfully run within the last 3 hours. With a option like this if everything is working OK the profiles would effectively run once ever 3 hours if there are network issues then the profile would run every 10 mins. I could also see that this option could be used with other types of profiles as well such as a profile set to run ‘on change’ to prevent a profile from continually running so I think this would be a useful addition to SyncBack.

An additional help for email backups would be an option that after a scan failure to have the next run of the profile restart the scan from where the last run failed as opposed to restarting from the beginning.

The first suggestion regarding queuing would be a nice to have particularly as you have already implemented a queuing mechanism. As stated in my original post an issue with profiles that are set to run periodically in the background is that it is likely they will all want to run when the PC is powered on and SyncBack starts potentially significantly slowing down the PC. It is also likely to that a side effect of this is to synchronise the profiles so they continue to run at the same time. Having the option to queue the profiles would address this problem.

Andrew.
ajs
Experienced
Experienced

Post by ajs »

Needing a solution to my issue with failing email backups I have been investigating a number of options.

First I looked to see if I could implement something like I described in my last post via scripting but unless I have missed something this does not appear to be possible.

Next I looked at using the run before option. I needed to know the last successful run time and this doesn't appear to be available as variable and the only way I could get this information was by using the Windows API function to read it from the profile settings file. This works and my image can return a value to indicate to SyncBack to stop the profile if has successfully run within a set period of time. The downside of this approach is that the result column is left blank and therefore it is not clear what the result of the last run was, this makes this option unacceptable.

I then looked, without much hope, at the possibility of modifying the periodic background settings from an image executed using the run after option. I wasn't expecting this to work but in fact it works perfectly. Using this approach if a profile fails I can have my image modify the background settings so it will run again in say 10 minutes, if the profile is successful then the background run can be disabled or the interval set to a longer period. To achieve this my image has to modify some of the settings in the profile settings file (BgRun, BgInterval & BgUnit). I appreciate that this is unsupported and may break in future releases but it does significantly improve the handling of network and server issues and means that manual intervention is no longer required.

It would be very useful if this functionality could be added to SyncBack.

Andrew.
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion.

I will pass your change requests (ability to queue background backups and an option to run a profile periodically, if it fails to run within a certain period of time) to the relevant department for further review and consideration. However, please note that our to-do-list is a long list, so we can’t guarantee the implementation of these feature or its implementation in a certain time frame.

Thank you.