Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

"No Profiles Running" message

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
Foxfan100

"No Profiles Running" message

Post by Foxfan100 »

Win 7 Ultimate, SBP paid edition

I have SBP start up at machine startup, and it sits there in the background running a variety of backups, some "on file update" (spreadsheets etc.) and others are scheduled, mostly in groups (browser profile backups, etc.).

The SBP icon sits in the systray/taskbar, and only shows activity when non-scheduled backups occur (file update). However, when scheduled backups ARE running, hovering over the tray icon gives the message "SyncBackPro: No profiles running".

This is a bit misleading, and can lead to problems when I decide to shut the system down, as running backups are terminated prematurely. It would be preferable, in my view, to have the hover message reflect the true state of SBP i.e. that scheduled backups are running.

Perhaps I've missed a setting, but I've been using SBP for a long while, and I don't think I have.
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Re: "No Profiles Running" message

Post by cliffhanger »

Hi, the Windows Scheduled Tasks that (SB has helped you to create, in order to) invoke your Scheduled profiles will start, use & close [a] separate instance[s] of SB Pro to run them (not negotiable). Your initial foreground/interactive copy of Pro is not involved. This makes sense if you remember the mechanism is designed to handle situations where no such foreground instance is running, you may be logged out, the PC may be sleeping...

Furthermore, if you have the Schedules set to 'Run whether user is logged in or not' - which I guess you do - the Windows Task Scheduler ('WTS') will normally run these Tasks (thus, the new instance/s of SB > the scheduled profile/s) in session-0, which has no interaction with a normal user session ('no desktop') - hence no systray icon either. The interactive copy of Pro you may be running only indicates its own activity in its systray icon. However, if you maximize (switch to, whatever) the interactive main UI, any profiles that interactive copy of Pro detects being run in another session will be displayed in italic text. This may be sufficient for your peace of mind re running profiles v. shutdown (bear in mind something might start on a Schedule a second or so after you check, though).

Alternatively, you can try setting the Schedule to 'Run only when user is logged on', which normally means the WTS will run the new nstance[s] of SB as an interactive copy, with its own systray icon (also, window - but beware, if you interact with its UI, it will likely not auto-close - by design, as you may be part-way through an edit, for example). The downside of this 'Run only when user is logged on' is that it won't run if you aren't logged in ('as it says on the can'), which may not fit your needs. You can set Schedules to run either way (so you could in theory set any scheduled profiles designed to run overnight to run 'whether or not', and those designed to run during the normal workday to 'only if'). Obviously a Scheduled group can only have one setting or the other.

Note that the above description of the session-related decision/behavior/mode made by the WTS is the typical behavior. I understand reports have been (very rarely) received of Windows deviating from this norm, which SB can do nothing about. There is no setting available in a Scheduled Task to directly opt for one mode (session type) or the other; all you can do is decide which 'run when' setting is likely to achieve the desired outcome c/o its normal 'knock-on effect'. You can access these settings via the Schedule dialog (in SB) -> Security tab/settings - or, you can do so via the WTS UI, where these settings are on the General tab of the Task/s.
Foxfan100

Re: "No Profiles Running" message

Post by Foxfan100 »

Thanks for the comprehensive explanation, which tells me all I need to know.

As you suggest, I do try to remember to pull up the SB screen to check for running jobs, and this is usually sufficient, as I know what jobs should be running at the time. However, I don't always get it right, with the obvious consequences.

It's a great product, by the way.