Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

SB Pro - how to run a simple forced backup?

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
Rootman

SB Pro - how to run a simple forced backup?

Post by Rootman »

Once a week I backup a large set of VirtualBox VM files, that is the files that make up the VM that reside on the host.

The file sizes for the disk files never change as they are all thick provisioned. The files contents change with each run of the VM. The normal settings I use for everything else fail to see that they change so they are skipped. I managed to force them to backup by using the "User slower but more reliable method of file change detection", this check is incredibly slow because the files are 70 to 100 GBs in size. The detection alone takes an hour or more. Then it takes hours to run the backup. Obviously the slow file check adds considerably time to the backup. I'd like to shorten that time.

Is there a simple set of settings that can tell SB to simple NOT check the files and always force a backup of them?
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Re: SB Pro - how to run a simple forced backup?

Post by cliffhanger »

You could auto-delete the old backups first? That will obviously force a re-copy regardless, and there is a setting to do just that on

Modify -> Expert -> Copy/Delete -> Advanced -> 'Delete ALL the files and folders in Destination before scanning for changes'

(there's also one for Source/Left - make very sure you pick the right one!)

TBH, sounds like your problem is that VirtualBox is not changing the LastModified stamp on the files - is there a VBox setting you can change? If not, and the size doesn't change either, you are left with hashing. Or, 'arranging (and then leveraging) 'absence' as the only 'difference' that can be determined relatively quickly (the actual detection of absence will be very fast, the time taken will be in 'arranging' it, i.e. to delete the "very large files" beforehand; the speed of that part is up to your device and Windows). But I guess it will be much faster than hashing them.
Rootman

Re: SB Pro - how to run a simple forced backup?

Post by Rootman »

Yeah, I thought about deleting them, I know it takes an intolerable long time to delete them manually (bless Windows 10 little heart!), not sure on how long it takes to delete them with Syncback on a USB drive. I'll have to experiment.

I do believe you are right, I know the size never changes, and VB apparently does not update the last accessed date on the file that represents the disk file. So by Syncbacks quick determination it's the same file. I wish there was a way to FORCE a simple backup, or at least stop the comparison with hashing as soon as as a difference was found and proceed with the copy.