Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Backing up files in use?

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
Cain
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Backing up files in use?

Post by Cain »

I use SBP to back up my work server to an offsite NAS.

Is it OK to be running a backup, while people have a file open, say a document in word or AutoCAD?

Until now I've only run backups late at night, but that bit me when our server failed at 7PM one day, losing everything done that day.

TIA for any help.
hartlenb
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Re: Backing up files in use?

Post by hartlenb »

Shouldn't be able problem. Worst case if a file is locked by someone using it, you may not be able to back that file up and it'll log as an error.
hartlenb
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by hartlenb »

and I'm pretty sure there is an option somewhere in SBPro that will let you copy locked or open files.
Cain
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by Cain »

Thank you! I need to look for that option.
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Post by cliffhanger »

It will try by default, though whether it will succeed 'depends' (see also the relevant Help section - search Help on 'locked' > top hit). There is an option not to try / switch it off (e.g. in case Windows' VSS gives BSODs) in

Modify -> Expert -> Copy/Delete -> Advanced -> 'Do not use the Volume Shadow Copy service (VSS) to copy open files''

Note: do not confuse this issue with 'Access Denied'' errors (there is also a KB article on that), if any. That is an entirely different concept, nothing to do with 'open/in-use/locked' (though a file can be locked and 'denied' at the same time, but the causes are different)

(BTW, I have no experience on WSE 2012 R2, so can't help on your other current thread)