Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

How to copy a single file

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
arogan

How to copy a single file

Post by arogan »

I need to be able to specify a single specific file I want a profile to copy. This file has to be passed in externally somehow (command line? variable?). I know you can specify a source on the command line but is there a way to modify file selection on the fly either through command line or maybe a runtime script?

Purpose: I want to be able to create a little .cmd file that lets me basically pass a filename and a destination path so I can basically upload a single file to amazon cloud drive and I want to use syncback pro as the upload/download engine.

One idea I had is to copy the file I want uploaded to a unique directory and then override the source but that seems a bit messy. I'm guessing there is a better/cleaner way to do it.
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Re: How to copy a single file

Post by cliffhanger »

Hi, OTOH I'm guessing not. You certainly can't pass a Source including the name of the file by command-line, nor any filters or (de)selection. As for scripting, a search of the Help on "filter", "filters", "selection" (etcetera) gets no hits in scripting-related Help sections except by coincidence (being able to 'filter' what gets output as a debug line, for example). It all fits the same pattern of 'no user-automation of this aspect', probably related to the fact that filters & de/selections (if any) are interlinked, and also involve cross-reference with (and storage of) details of the file-set being addressed, thus heavily application-automated already, so 'Here be dragons!' probably applies.

Note, for example, the recommendation in the Help if using a -source and/or -destination parameter/value that "you should consider using the -noselect and -nofilter command line parameters" to switch off any existing settings that may be based on the default Source (> file-set) or Destination in the profile. I guess any option to pass alternate selection or filter values would be mentioned/linked-to right there, if it existed.

Your workaround sounds do-able, though. A batch file (etc) to flush the buffer folder first, copy the desired file to it, and pass one-time -source and/or -destination values to SyncBackPro > a cloud profile may solve it. You should probably use the -noselect and -nofilter command line parameters too (see above/Help) - and/or, use a dedicated profile with its Filters and de/selections firmly switched off manually via the checkboxes provided in their respective dialogs.

Presumably someone from 2BS will chime in if I missed (or misunderstood) anything.