Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Restore from Backup with Versions

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
djsep3763

Restore from Backup with Versions

Post by djsep3763 »

Hello,

I client of mine was recently infected by the Cryptolocker virus on June 20th which resulted in me having to restore from backups. They are running a backup job using SyncBack Pro V7.6.8.0 with versioning set up for 7 versions and no limits to a NAS. Before restoring from backups, I first moved the infected files/folders in to a folder I named "Crypto Infected". I then created a folder with the same name as the orignal "MB7" and performed a restore using the rollback feature to the folder I just created. I did a rollback to the last known good backups which occurred on June 19th, the day before the infection. The restore was successful. It restored everything and then some. There were old files and folders in there that weren't from the original folder structure, including files/folders that were deleted long ago. The rollback option I had chosen was "Rollback all destination files". I was under the impression that performing a rollback restore to a specific date would result in the original file/folder structure before the infection occurred. What went wrong?

Thanks in advance.
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Restore from Backup with Versions

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

Please note that "Rollback all your Destination files" will rollback only the destination files. But, if you want to rollback both Source and Destination files then you have to select the option "Rollback all your Source files". Please read this KB article for the detailed steps to rollback your Source/Destination files:

http://support.2brightsparks.com/knowle ... sion-files
It restored everything and then some. There were old files and folders in there that weren't from the original folder structure, including files/folders that were deleted long ago.
Maybe, there are versioned files stored in the $SBV$ folder corresponding to those old/deleted files. Thus, the rollback operation has restored those old files/folders from the versioned files present in $SBV$ folder.

Thank you.