Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Can't enable settings encryption

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
im_thatoneguy
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Can't enable settings encryption

Post by im_thatoneguy »

When I attempt to enable settings encryption I point it to a 256-bit AES key that I generated with the "create key file" button. But it gives me an error:

"The settings could not be saved: Decryption failure on setting SN: Key file required to decrypt"
im_thatoneguy
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: Can't enable settings encryption

Post by im_thatoneguy »

Similarly is there a way to lock the settings in a profile with a password? We're trying to ensure that a user couldn't simply change a profile to delete all of our backups by changing a profile from a backup profile into a delete-previous-versions profile or even and then ransomware our working data if they gained access to the backup account somehow.
Kostas
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Kostas »

Hi,

About the key error "The settings could not be saved: Decryption failure on setting SN: Key file required to decrypt", this usually indicates that SyncBack cannot locate or access the current key file used for encryption. Something may have placed a lock on the key file or it may have been deleted before the new key file has been created. Can you tell us the exact steps to recreate the issue? Also which folder did you choose for the new key file?

As for your question about profile password protection, there is already an option inside the profile under Expert -> Misc -> "Password protect this profile from modification or deletion" which does what you want.

Thanks,
Kostas
[2bs]
im_thatoneguy
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by im_thatoneguy »

Well, I don't want to be too specific in where I was trying to save to over a public forum, but it was on a local RAID for a file server inside of a permission protected general IT files folder. However I'm logged in as an administrator that has access to that folder.

It also gave me an SMTP key error the first time. But now it gives me the SN: Key error alone.
Kostas
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Kostas »

Hi,

I suggest submitting a support ticket for your case by email to [email protected] as it will make it easier to follow up.

Thanks,
Kostas
[2bs]