Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Cannot add multiple filters for subfolders

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
bartvels

Cannot add multiple filters for subfolders

Post by bartvels »

I'm trying to add multi filters but what ever I try only one filter is being saved.
I did use the [Add] button and also entered filters separated by a "/" but all fails.

Filters I used were:

Code: Select all

*\
*\*\klaar\*
What I want to achieve is that al subfolders in the tree below with the name "klaar" and it's subfoldes and files are being backupped from my drive [D:\]

The folder structure looks like this:

Code: Select all

D:\
   filea.txt
   fileb.txt
   [foldera]
   [folderb]
         [klaar]
               file02.jpg
               [02]
                     files0002.jpg
   [folderc]
         [klaar]
               file03.jpg
               [03]
                     files0003.jpg
   [folderd]
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Re: Cannot add multiple filters for subfolders

Post by cliffhanger »

If I Add (enter) the single string

*/*\/*\*\klaar\*

as one entry, using forward-slashes as separators, SB sets the filters here as

*\
*\*\klaar\*

(that is, I get two entries, not one). The reason I don't get three is simply because you cannot logically have the filter * (a single asterisk, which means 'anything/everything') at the same time as any other filters, because by definition, any other filter/s mean 'not everything, only this/these', so a single-asterisk filter will contradict the other/s (and vice versa). So, SB strips out any already-entered single-asterisk entry as soon as you try adding or including anything else. (Similarly, if you enter a single-asterisk entry later, SB will remove any previous entries). Stop trying to include a * filter, as it would override everything else anyway, and is probably what is causing you unexpected edit results (depending where/when the single-* entry is).

Your suggested main filter (the longest entry) will only work if there are / will be / should be at least one intervening folder between the profile's root of scope and the \klaar\ folder(s) - IOW, if the preceding path (the part of the path string before ...\klaar\... ) does/must contain at least one other intervening backslash. Your tree-structure example looks like this might be the case, so set it this way if you want that

*\
*\*\klaar\*

(note: for this filter-set to match the tree structure you quoted, your Source path (entry in Source box) must be simply D:\ )

OTOH, if the \klaar\ folders might be in the root of what you are pointing the profile at (there are no earlier intervening folders), or 'deeper' than your example (if it might be \folderA\directoryB\klaar\... and so on...), then

*\
*\klaar\*

will find \klaar\ folders wherever they are (if you want that) provided the \klaar\ folders are 'deeper' than your Source string. Note that the trailing asterisk * at the end of each of these filter strings will match any final string, whether it contains another backslash or not, so subfolders deeper than ...\klaar\... (or not) will both be catered for.

Remember that there will be a 'filters<>de/selections' set-up/crosscheck process after you OK your way out. The reply to a previous thread of yours has more details.

Finally, can you please remember to quote your full (x.x.x.x) version number if you post again. Functionality does change from version to version (that's the point of a new version...) so it may be important.
bartvels

Post by bartvels »

Thanks for the reply.
Using your info and the info from the previous post I still do not get wat I want.
Using this filter:
*\
*\*\klaar\*
... still more then only folders containing "klaar" subfolders and the contents of the "klaar" subfolders are being selected (see attached screenshot).
Screen Shot 2016-07-26 at 08.23.11.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-26 at 08.23.11.png (162.11 KiB) Viewed 4861 times
Using/testing version: v7.6.18.0
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Post by cliffhanger »

If you check your previous thread from March 2015 again,
The first linked topic has details how to prevent copying 'other' empty folders (more usually/accurately, 'folders from which no contents are copied')
Here's a copy: http://www.2brightsparks.com/bb/viewtop ... 04&p=44463

Those other folders are selected, yes, because the rule you have set up is to check every folder - on every run - for matches to ...\klaar\... that either pre-exist or may have been created since last run. This is how the filters can be made self-updating. Those other folders are selected, but no files inside them are (except files inside any \klaar\ sub-paths). You can prevent those other 'stub' folders being copied (as 'empty') as described in the link
bartvels

Post by bartvels »

Yeah! Big successsss !
Screen Shot 2016-07-26 at 10.38.07.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-26 at 10.38.07.png (11.1 KiB) Viewed 4843 times
Thanks for the help!
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Post by cliffhanger »

cliffhanger wrote:....the rule you have set up is to check every folder - on every run - for matches to ...\klaar\... that either pre-exist or may have been created since last run
more accurately, 'every folder for which no specific Exclusion filter (such as \System Volume Information\ ) exists'