Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

4yearly schedulation on February 29th

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
pirein

4yearly schedulation on February 29th

Post by pirein »

Hi,

I wanted to have a long rotation full backup on my system, so I say to myself "I could use maybe February 29th, that is every 4 years!".

So, I put an event for this and on the scheduler a monthly type, with day "29" and month "February".

The actual year (2016) has a 29 February, so the next should be on 2020.

Here is the strange thing: the "next run" is not set on that date, but on February 1st of 2018.

Why is this?

If this method can't apply for some reason, how do you suggest I can go for a "a backup every 2-3-4-5-n years" ?

Thanks in advance!
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Re: 4yearly schedulation on February 29th

Post by cliffhanger »

Hi, it's not clear if you are using the Schedule functionality in SB or creating/configuring a Task directly in the Windows Task Scheduler. But as the former (SB Schedule dialog) is purely a drill-down into the latter Windows functionality (for your convenience), it doesn't matter, because > >

If I try (in Windows 10 Pro, no Anniversary Update yet) directly in the Windows Task Scheduler to make a dummy Task (full-fat, not 'Basic') for test purposes set to run Notepad, and to recur Monthly / February / 29th and OK my way out, I get a Next Run value exactly the same as you (1 Feb 2018, which looks like some kind of 'overshoot value'). Whereas if I set it to repeat on Feb 28, it correctly sets Next Run to 28 Feb 2017. So, this is clearly a bug (or 'limitation', anyhow) in the Windows Task Scheduler, as it occurs with no SB involvement whatsoever. Try it and see.

You may have more luck Googling for others with the same Windows issue (and/or, reporting the issue to a Microsoft forum/support site).

I don't have any ideas for fully-automated multi-year schedules, sorry. It seems Windows Task Scheduler can't handle that lateral-thinking schema you thought of (good idea, BTW). AFAICS you can postpone the original Start to as far ahead as the system calendar supports, but the longest recurrence-interval thereafter that Windows lets you set equates to 'one year'.
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Post by cliffhanger »

Actually, I may have found a side-step. If you configure a Task, (direct or via SB) and change the original Start time from the default to 29 Feb 2016 (ignoring the fact that it has already happened), then set Monthly / February / 29, the Next Run time now 'correctly' shows 29 Feb 2020...

Whether it will actually trigger then, you'd have to wait and see ;)
pirein

Post by pirein »

Hi, thanks so much for the trick!

Sorry I didn't figured out it was a Windows Scheduler issue.

Maybe I'm a strange guy, but I don't understand why (with today cheap Terabyte storages) in a lot of system scheduling you can't still have a rotation of more than one year. It is not so rare that somebody accidentaly deletes a folder, and happens to search for it years later.