Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Intelligent Synchronization between Windows and Android

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
SyncStrut

Intelligent Synchronization between Windows and Android

Post by SyncStrut »

Hi --

I was just about to buy SyncBackPro to do the following task but tried first with the trial version and it seems that sync between windows and android is not yet feasible. Here is what I want to do:
* I play my local music files on my computer (Windows 10 64bits) and change their ratings as I listen to them
* I play my local music files on 200 Go SD card on my Samsung Galaxy S7 edge and change their ratings as i listen tot hem
* The same list of files are in the two storage locations
* I want to do a sync of modified (property [ratings] of) files on the laptop to the phone SD card and of modified (property [ratings] of) files on the phone SD card to the laptop
* I have created two different profiles, one over WiFi using SyncBackPro on windows and with SyncBack Touch one the phone, and one only using SyncBackPro but with the USB connection.
* The WiFi is much (much much) faster than the USB connection at establishing the list of files, but much (much much) slower at copying them.
* The problem is that every time a file is copied on the phone SD card, its copied date becomes its modified date, hence it wants to sync back in the other directions at the next sync.

I've seen this post on a related topic: http://www.2brightsparks.com/bb/viewtop ... p+modified.

Does that mean that what I wan to do is impossible?

Thanks for your help.

-cheers-
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Re: Intelligent Synchronization between Windows and Android

Post by cliffhanger »

SyncStrut wrote:Does that mean that what I wan to do is impossible?
AFAIK. The problem is (as mentioned in that post you linked to) that Lollipop (and Marshmallow, TBOMK) no longer permits LastModified stamps to be set on files stored on add-in storage (SD cards). This cripples any hope of accurate 2-way Sync, which of course relies on LastMod comparison of both sides to figure out 'which file should win' if any differences are found.

You can't use the Fast Backup workaround with Intelligent Synchronization (so, these two modes are mutually-disabled), because FB skips scanning the incorrect LastMod values on the Destination in favor of its own database, whose validity relies on there being no changes on the Destination (phone) except those performed by the FB profile. Whereas, unilaterally changing the properties of files on the phone is exactly what you want to do...

AFAIK, it would need a policy change by Google to fix it.
SyncStrut

Post by SyncStrut »

Would it change something if I would instead use a third party cloud in the middle, i.e. sync both ways between windows and cloud and sync both ways between cloud and android?
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Post by cliffhanger »

Unlikely, due to probable limitations with whatever (on the phone) is writing to the cloud and to Android. Many consumer-level cloud services also don't permit setting the LastModified property, and the phone app will likely have the same issue (cannot set LastModified) when writing to the Android's SD card, too. I don't use Cloud, so can't comment further.