Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Backup to Synology NAS - File Copying Method

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
andiherbst

Backup to Synology NAS - File Copying Method

Post by andiherbst »

Hi :) ,

First of all I'm a big fan of your product - never had any issues - the thing just runs :)
I have a question about the file copying methods that SyncBack Pro is offering.
Currently I copy my backups to a Synology NAS using the SMB 3 protocol with the standard Windows copy method (Syncback's default).
I'm not sure if I can optimize things by using a different file copyig method - should I switch or keep it as it is? Any advantages/disadvantages? Thx a lot in advance!

Best,
Andi
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Re: Backup to Synology NAS - File Copying Method

Post by cliffhanger »

I'm no expert in the deep workings of the APIs these settings select, but I'd guess the default is probably the default for a reason - as the contextual Help on that settings page says

"Standard Windows file copying: This is the default method for copying files. It is the most efficient and quickest way to copy files".

The shell/Explorer method is mentioned as a potential cause of problems over a network (especially to non-Windows devices, like maybe a NAS...). One aspect you may potentially feel beneficial (moving deletions to the Recycle Bin - if your profile is a Mirror) won't work anyway, if the Destination is over a network.

I'd steer clear of the Backup Read/Write method unless you're having privilege issues (access-denied, or similar). IIABDFI, and so on.
andiherbst

Re: Backup to Synology NAS - File Copying Method

Post by andiherbst »

Dear cliff,

Thx a lot for your input. Right - your arguments are quite convincing - I will stick to the default.

Have a great day!
Andi