Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Notifications for task scheduler errors

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
highspeed

Notifications for task scheduler errors

Post by highspeed »

I recently had a situation where my scheduled tasks were failing due to a privilege issue. Unfortunately this went unnoticed for a couple of weeks. I did some checking in the settings and it doesn't appear there is an option for e-mailing a notification when this type of failure occurs, at least not for a group schedule.

Is there something I'm missing here? SyncBackPro v7.6.18.0
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Re: Notifications for task scheduler errors

Post by cliffhanger »

Where does the 'privilege issue' occur? In the Windows Task Scheduler (WTS) itself? For example, inability of the Windows Scheduled Task to log on? If so, SyncBack won't even get called in those circumstances, and you'd need functionality in the WTS itself to notify you, which MS didn't include.

BTW, your copy of Pro is out-of-date (unless that .18 is a typo). Latest official release is 7.6.28.0
highspeed

Post by highspeed »

I'm not sure what caused the privilege issue. It was running fine for weeks. I had to re-select the user to run the job under and re-enter the password for that account to get it running again.

SyncBackPro was aware of the issue, because it listed the error under the 'Last Scheduled Run Error' column.
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Post by cliffhanger »

1) SyncBack was 'aware' of the error (that is to say, that the LastRunError string in the relevant Windows Scheduled Task was not empty) once you started it manually (or, 'with Windows', whatever) and, as part of the start-up process, it polled the Task/s that it knows about. SyncBack wasn't 'aware' of it if (because the Task failed to trigger SyncBack) it was not started at the time the Task error happened.

2) SyncBack just polls the Task (via the Scheduler interface) for a non-empty string in the appropriate entry in the Task object. It doesn't 'understand' what the entry means, so 'aware' is perhaps a little optimistic. It just displays to you what it found in the main UI.

3) The fact that there was a value in Last Scheduled Run Error column (which is polled from a string value in the Task that is set (or not) by the WTS itself) demonstrates the error was indeed in the Task. You would also have been able to see this at the time if you opened the WTS and looked in the appropriate Task - up until the point when it ran correctly, and the WTS reset that string again. If you had History already enabled in your WTS, you may be able to trace it back in that, but IIRC, History is off-by-default in modern versions of Windows.