Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

How to identify "orphaned" files in backup set

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
John Riley
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

How to identify "orphaned" files in backup set

Post by John Riley »

If the profile specifies that a file on the destination should be deleted if it is deleted on the source, then the file is deleted on the destination if it does not exist on the source.

But if that file has versions, the versions are not deleted but stay in the backup set. (for this discussion I am calling versions of files that exist without a current file "orphans." Not sure if there is a better name.) More generically, I am thinking that an "orphan" is any file that will remain in the backup set until manually removed even if there are purging rules set.

I have a few questions related to this:

1. Is there any way to easily identify files in the backup set that have versions stored but not a current file?

2. Is there a way to exclude files from versioning either at the folder or file level?

3. Are there cases where other kinds of "orphan" type files are created and if so any way to find them in the backup set?

One reason for the question is that after a while there may be a lot of files in the backup set that are orphans and not needed. Would be nice if there was an easy way to list them and clean them up... else I think they just sit there forever, maybe forgotten about and are sort of out of the backup loop.
John Riley
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Re: How to identify "orphaned" files in backup set

Post by John Riley »

I should mention that I understand why versions of deleted files are preserved. I think that is the proper method of dealing with that situation because you may later need the versions even though the file was deleted. So it's the correct conservative approach. But at the same time it potentially leaves a lot of files that may not be needed that don't show up anywhere and may take up unnecessary space. So I am wondering if there is a better way to deal with that issue.