Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Need Download Link for v7.6.36.0(en)

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
VikingBurp

Need Download Link for v7.6.36.0(en)

Post by VikingBurp »

For various reasons, I am still running Windows XP Pro.

I was running OK on SynchBackPro v7.6.36.0 (en), but made the mistake of updating this when I saw an alert to say a new version was available.

I just didn't take enough note that Windows XP is no longer supported, so went for the update.

The latest update appears to be v7.6.45.0, but this failed to update on an HP Workstation running a fully patched version of Windows XP Pro 32bit.

The error message was as follows:
C:\Program Files\2BrightSparks\SynchBackPro\EASendMailObj.dll

Unable to register the DLL/OCX: RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x5

[ABORT] [RETRY] [IGNORE]
I elected to Abort, following which there was a message saying that the upgrade was rolling back the changes.

However, the Desktop Icon was deleted, and when I ran SynchBackPro by clicking its icon within Program Files, it is now saying that I am running the latest version, namely v7.6.45.0.

I am unwilling to use what could be a broken installation of SynchBackPro to back up my vital Data, so would like to re-install the last working version that was compatible with Windows XP, which appears to be v7.6.36.0.

But there is no Download link that I can find to get this last version, so I am currently stuck with key Data only now residing in one place, because I was not able to run the daily backup synchronisation as I would normally do at close of play each night.

I appreciate that Windows XP is no longer supported, but I think 2BrightSparks should either post a Download Link for the last version of SynchBackPro that was OK with Windows XP, or the Update should be fixed so that it does roll back properly if someone with Windows XP tries to update, or the update should be set so as not to run if it detects the operating system in use is Windows XP.

This is quite urgent, because I am in the middle of updating things to Windows 10, so wanted to synchronise Data to the 6 locations on my Network where I mirror my Data. I could do this from another XP machine running v7.6.28.0 but it would mean having to set up new Tasks, and remembering that the Data flow is from Right to Left, rather than from Left to Right.

I'd much rather do this from my main machine, but that appears to have a suspect installation of SynchBackPro at the moment.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

VikingBurp
Kostas
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Need Download Link for v7.6.36.0(en)

Post by Kostas »

Hi,

You must have already received a reply from the support channel, but I would like to add that I did test the latest SyncBackPro installation on Windows XP and I had no troubles installing it. Did you use an administrator user account when you tried to install it?

The error "DLL/OCX: RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x5" is an error message generated by Windows (code 0x5 is Access Denied) due to not having the appropriate Windows Administrator rights, or the file regsvr32.exe is missing from the Windows operating system.

Thanks,
Kostas
[2bs]
VikingBurp

Post by VikingBurp »

Hello Kostas!

I've not heard from Support yet, but had sent them three emails last night (UK time).

I was logged in as an Administrator, so I don't think that was the issue, but thanks for the information and comments.

Likewise, regsvr32.exe is there in the Windows\system32 folder, so that isn't missing either.

I do update immediately when I see an update alert, and back-up daily, so my main machine is always running the latest version of SynchBackPro.

The point I am making there, is this Update is the very first that has ever failed, and is also the first one that has a specific warning that Windows XP is no longer supported. I suspect there must be some link.

I think I've been using SynchBackPro for around 12 Months, certainly from 2015, and every past Update has been fine.

I just want to roll back to v7.6.36.0 but cannot see how to do this, i.e. the update link just tries to update things to v7.6.45.0 and that fails every time.

I do have a local Administrator Account on this machine, so I will try the update from that in case it is an Administrator issue (I was logged in as a Network Administrator, which is also added as a local Administrator too).

I'll Post up my results, just need to shut a few things down and log off the Network, and back on as a local Admin.

VikinBurp
VikingBurp

Post by VikingBurp »

Hello Kostas!

Many thanks indeed, that seemed to work.

I re-ran the update from a local Administrator Account, with the HP Workstation re-booted as a Stand Alone machine (I also unplugged it from the Domain Switch, and re-plugged it into a DMZ so that it would have web access without a Domain Controller in the picture)...

...that worked without any errors, albeit there was a warning at the start to say Windows XP is no longer supported!

I have no idea why this update didn't want to play ball when I was on the Domain Network (even though I was an Administrator). The machine otherwise had web access, and it's updated fine every time before in this same configuration.

I regret I don't have any scope to investigate this, because I am busy updating to Windows 10, and setting up a new Domain with a later Server Operating System ("OS"), so the HP Workstation is very close to retirement now or, rather, Windows XP Pro 32bit is being retired as its OS!

I may update the machine to run Vista Business, to get a little more life out of it. Indeed, I also have a Windows 10 Pro configuration for that machine too (on a saved Hard Drive that I can just re-insert) so, either way, it'll have a supported OS soon with Windows XP retired as an OS.

Shame in a way, because XP still works, but it is no longer getting on with other software as things move away from supporting Windows XP.

Anyway, at least I can press on again, and synchronise Data as intended, before I finalise the upgrades.

Thanks again for your welcome assistance.

VikingBurp
Kostas
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Kostas »

Glad to hear you've figured it out. It's really odd that the domain admin account would run into such problem.

As for the support ticket response, in case you haven't received it yet, it was sent to another email address of yours, not the same like the one you use here on the forum. Maybe it ended up in the spam folder. It was containing a download link to the version you had requested but since you've resolved the install issue I think it won't be needed anymore.

Thanks,
Kostas
[2bs]
VikingBurp

Post by VikingBurp »

Hello Kostas!

Ah...I know what has happened to the Support emails, it was an old alias that should still be live but it is off-line at the moment because the Domain in question is only temporarily using POP3 email on a small handful of alias whilst we upgrade email Servers here.

I'd not kept that alias live thinking it would not be needed during the switch, but then used it anyway forgetting it was one of the offline ones.

It'll come back to life when that Domain is re-activated on the email Server and when POP3 is switched to a straight DNS MX pointer to the IP here.

Sorry about that, my apologies.

VikingBurp