Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Amazon drive with SyncBack Pro - Any good?

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
reckoning

Amazon drive with SyncBack Pro - Any good?

Post by reckoning »

Hello,

I'm going to be subscribing to the unlimited Amazon Drive in order to backup my data and I need some software to handle the backup side of things.

I see Syncback Pro supports Amazon Drive so i'm after some feedback on how well it works with Amazon Drive. I had a quick look at the features of SBP and saw that it can monitor my folders and files and when it notices a change it can run a backup to ensure everything is backed up almost straight away. Does this feature work well with Amazon Drive? I don't really don't want to use schedules because I never know when the computer will be on.

Also the other feature i'd want to make use of is the File versioning feature, so any feedback on this would be great.

So any views on reliability, performance and just general thoughts on using SBP with Amazon Drive greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Amazon drive with SyncBack Pro - Any good?

Post by Swapna »

Hi,
I had a quick look at the features of SBP and saw that it can monitor my folders and files and when it notices a change it can run a backup to ensure everything is backed up almost straight away. Does this feature work well with Amazon Drive?
SyncBackPro can be configured to watch for changes on the local drive (or network drive), and when any changes are detected it will run the profile automatically to backup the changes. But this option can't be enabled on Amazon Drive side. It is also stated in the help file > When > Changes settings page:

Changes cannot be detected on FTP, email servers, or cloud servers. It will probably also fail to detect changes on NAS devices that are not running Windows (many NAS devices use a version of Linux) and on networked drives that are not running Windows.

So, it can't detect changes on Cloud servers. Also, I would suggest you to read the help file for the important points to consider when using OnChanges setting. With When > Changes settings page opened, press F1 to open the contextual help. 
Also the other feature i'd want to make use of is the File versioning feature, so any feedback on this would be great.
You can enable Versioning on Amazon Drive side under:

Modify > Expert > Copy/Delete > Versioning settings page

then SyncBackPro will create a version of a file before a file (at your Destination) is replaced, deleted or moved and store the version files in a hidden $SBV$ folder within the scope of the profile's Destination path. In case, a file is lost or corrupted then you can quickly rollback/restore your data from the versioned files. Please read the help file for more details. With Versioning settings page opened, press F1 to open the contextual help for more details.  

Please refer to these KB article for a list of known constraints that you may encounter when backing-up files to Cloud services using SyncBackPro:

http://support.2brightsparks.com/knowle ... rage-servi

http://support.2brightsparks.com/knowle ... rors-durin

Thank you.
olihar
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by olihar »

There is still something wrong with SyncBack and Amazon Drive, its dead slow in many cases.

I have tried few different software to connect to Amazon Drive and they are all great speed, even using some to connect and SyncBack to then do the syncing to the "virtual drive" the other software creates.

This has been discussed for a while now by myself and others but absolutely no reply from 2BrightSparks about this issue.
reckoning

Post by reckoning »

Swapna wrote:Hi,

Please refer to these KB article for a list of known constraints that you may encounter when backing-up files to Cloud services using SyncBackPro:

http://support.2brightsparks.com/knowle ... rage-servi

http://support.2brightsparks.com/knowle ... rors-durin

Thank you.
Hello and thank you for pointing out the pitfalls of syncing with the cloud. The second link mentions the potential to run out of memory when sycning a lot of files. This is a problemI may run into. It seems this issue is down to syncback being a 32-bit client so my question is why don't you develop a 64-bit version to resolve this issue? I have 16GB of RAM yet syncback won't be able to use most of it due to this limitation.
olihar wrote:There is still something wrong with SyncBack and Amazon Drive, its dead slow in many cases.

I have tried few different software to connect to Amazon Drive and they are all great speed, even using some to connect and SyncBack to then do the syncing to the "virtual drive" the other software creates.

This has been discussed for a while now by myself and others but absolutely no reply from 2BrightSparks about this issue.
Smilies after seeing this reply I searched the forum and I am seeing quite a few people complaining about speed issues with Amazon cloud and syncback. Have you made any headway into solving these issues, it's a bit concerning that Olihar mentions that you've not been commenting about this issue? I think it would be risky for me to invest in this product until I know what's going on with this issue and if a fix is forthcoming.

Many thanks.
reckoning

Post by reckoning »

olihar wrote:There is still something wrong with SyncBack and Amazon Drive, its dead slow in many cases.

Hello Olihar and thank for replying to my query, it's good to hear from someone who's already using the product. I am a bit concerned after reading this and I do see other posts that mention this same issue. As you can see above i've asked the dev about this to see where we stand with this issue.

If other applications don't suffer from this problem I don't see why syncback should be any different.

If syncback doesn't reliably work with Amazon Cloud I might have to get back to you about what other sync applications you find works best with cloud backups.

Thanks
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Swapna »

Hi,
It seems this issue is down to syncback being a 32-bit client so my question is why don't you develop a 64-bit version to resolve this issue?

The 64-bit SyncBackPro application is in its development stages. We will let you know once I have further info on the beta release.
Have you made any headway into solving these issues, it's a bit concerning that Olihar mentions that you've not been commenting about this issue?

Sorry, but there is nothing to fix from SyncBackPro side to improve the transfer speeds, as it is already uploading/downloading files as fast as Amazon Drive allow us to do. However, as stated in this forum post:

http://www.2brightsparks.com/bb/viewtop ... 15&t=12465

we are still waiting for a confirmation from Amazon about the whitelist status of our application. We will get more info about this problem only after receiving confirmation from Amazon on our status.

Thank you.
olihar
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by olihar »

Newest problem with Amazon Drive.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12626
reckoning

Post by reckoning »

Swapna,

There must be some issue though if some people are having slow uploads with Syncback but other syncing applications can upload a lot faster on the same computer? If there's nothing to fix how can this be the case?

It's pretty bad of Amazon that they have still not confirmed your whitelist status but how does this affect the slow speed issue? Do whitelisted apps get a speed increase over none whitelisted apps? I assumed you were either whitelisted and have access or you're not and speed doesn't come into it, or am i mistaken?

Thanks
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

We have contacted Amazon on multiple occasions to check if SyncBackPro is whitelisted. They assure us it is, but there is a problem somewhere on their end because we cannot confirm that ourselves. If an application is not whitelisted, then it will be throttled, which is what seems to be happening to some people. We are 100% confident that there is nothing wrong with our code (many users do not experience any throttling at all, but others do). It’s extremely frustrating and we have exhausted every avenue open to us trying to resolve this.

SyncBackPro is far from being the only one that sometimes suffers from slow upload/download speeds when used with Amazon Drive. Users of other utilities have exactly the same problem and are going through the same pain we are. You can refer to this Amazon forum for more details:

https://forums.developer.amazon.com/que ... html#33526

Amazon is changing their REST API interface to Amazon Drive and we have requested to be involved in that process. We hope that the change will resolve these issues. I will let you know once we have further information on this.

Thank you.
reckoning

Post by reckoning »

Swapna,

Thanks very much for the feedback on this. It gives me confidence seeing a dev reply like this and will be keeping an eye on Amazon Drive performance with Syncback. I'll check back in the future to see if a fix has been found for it.
Wurlitzer1015

Post by Wurlitzer1015 »

Like the thread starter, I am considering purchasing a licence for use with Amazon Cloud.
A bit concerned about the mention of speed but are all these posters sure their potential upload speed is correct. My understanding is that only fibre connections offer the same speed for upload and download. ADSL or cable normally have significantly slower upload speed, e.g. You might be subscribing to a 100mbps cable plan but typically this just refers to downloads, max upload speed might only be 10mbps or even less.

I'm in Singapore on a 1gbps fibre plan, uploading to Amazon cloud currently using either Amazon's Windows desktop app or CloudBerry I normally get around 200 - 300 mbps upload (depends on time of day). I guess I need to get the trial to see if this issue is with this app or just perhaps users expecting more than what is available of their connection.
reckoning

Post by reckoning »

I see Syncback 8 is just around the corner, is there any improvement in this area over the current version?
ednafziger

Post by ednafziger »

I notice that when I start a new profile, syncing files from local PC to Amazon Drive, it doesn't check for differences first, it just starts uploading all the files. I have 52 GB of photos that I am attempting to backup. SyncBack Pro says it will take 2 days. Maybe there are some technical challenges that I am unaware of, but in my opinion, SyncBack should download the directory list from Amazon, compare it, and upload only the differences. I would really appreciate this, because as far as I know, almost all of the files already exist.
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

Please note that SyncBackPro (by default) in each run compares the Source against Destination (using last modification date/time stamps, size attributes) to detect file differences and copies only new/changed files from Source to Destination. However, many cloud services (including Amazon drive) does not allow the last modification date & time of a file to be changed (which SyncBackPro uses by default to detect the differences on both sides). This is the limitation of the cloud service not SyncBackPro. To get around such limitations, SyncBackPro creates/builds a local database (cloud db) to store the details of the files that cannot be stored on the cloud service, so that, in the next profile runs it uses the cloud database (created in #run 1) to identify the file differences and copies only new/changed files from Source to Amazon Drive.

As you are running the profile for the first time and there is no database created (at the time of profile run), SyncBack is proposing to recopy unchanged files again to the server. However, if you know the files on both Source and Destination are identical, then you can try these steps to build the cloud database and copy only the properties (meta-data) from Source to Destination (without copying the file contents):

1. Run the profile in manual mode (using ctrl + R)

2. When the Differences Window is displayed, mass select all the identical files (from the Differences Window)

3. Right click and choose "Use details from Source" to copy properties from one side to another (note that this will not copy the file contents, it will only copy the meta data).

In the subsequent runs SyncBack will not propose to recopy those files again as the cloud database contains the details of the files uploaded to the server.

In addition, please note that when you mass-select the files from Differences Window, please ensure that you have selected the identical files on both sides (but not new/changed files) otherwise the ‘Use details from Source’ option won't be displayed in the pop-up menu. You can use the Filters menu on the Differences Window to filter the list.

Thank you.
rsn8887

Post by rsn8887 »

I understand Syncback creates a cloud.db file to locally store syncing information to ensure only new files are backed up to the cloud. Is there any documentation when, where, and how this "cloud.db" file is created?

Is there a setting in the profile settings to enable/disable the use of this cloud.db file?