Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Utility to switch on/off the USB backup drive

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
daandi

Utility to switch on/off the USB backup drive

Post by daandi »

Hi,

For our backups I use an external USB drive. The drive is permanently connected to the computer. I'm looking for a way to protect against ransomware that encrypts all files that it can find on a machine.
I'm looking for a utility where I can activate the USB drive before starting the backup and deactivate it after the backup.

Is there a utility that can ‘switch’ on and off an USB drive (optimal with password protection) that can be started out of Syncback?

Best regards
Andreas
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Utility to switch on/off the USB backup drive

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

There is no inherent feature in SyncBackPro to activate or deactivate a drive before and after the profile run. However, you can try embedding commands to do this under:

Modify Profile > Expert > Programs-Before/After section

either directly or by calling a batch file or script file. Sorry, but we don't provide bespoke support on what those specific commands should be or write/debug custom scripts/batch files as this is beyond the scope of our support.  

I would suggest you to read these articles which provide suggestions on how to protect your important data from ransomware or cryptolocker:

http://www.2brightsparks.com/resources/ ... mware.html

http://www.2brightsparks.com/resources/ ... mware.html

Thank you
daandi

Post by daandi »

Thank you for your answer and the links.

I was thinking of embedding a command, but where asking if there is a command or utility known to use. No scripting, only a hint to a command. Would this be possible.
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

There is no function or command available in SyncBack to lock/unlock an external drive. You have to use a HD protection software to do this and if that software allows you to lock/unlock the drive using command line calls, then you can embed those commands in SyncBackPro's > Programs-Before/After section to unlock/lock the drive during the profile run. Sorry, but we can't provide any recommendations for 3rd party programs as it is beyond the scope of our support.

Thank you.