Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Backing up my wife's laptop

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
Swifty

Backing up my wife's laptop

Post by Swifty »

Please forgive me if I've asked this before, but my brain needs backing up more than my data...

I have SyncBackPro on my PC, and I'd like to use one of the SyncBack family on my wife's Laptop. Does my SyncBackPRO licence allow me any advantage when installing another instance?

I seem to recall going PRO because I wanted to do backups via FTP. The laptop will just need backups of parts of the C: drive, to our network Drobo and our Proliant Micro server. I suspect that the free version will be more than adequate.

Do any of the versions allow for a scheduled backup that would cause the laptop to power on, if necessary. Something is already doing this, but so far I've not taken the time to get to the bottom of what it is.
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Backing up my wife's laptop

Post by Swapna »

Hi,
I have SyncBackPro on my PC, and I'd like to use one of the SyncBack family on my wife's Laptop. Does my SyncBackPRO licence allow me any advantage when installing another instance?
If you are using SyncBackPro to process personal data, then you can install it on your wife’s laptop. Note that one registered copy of SyncBackPro may be used by a single person who intends to uses the software personally on up to 5 computers to process personal data (home use) only. However, if it is used to process non-personal data (e.g. installed in the workplace, which includes processing of non-personal/work-related data on a personal computer - i.e., work from home), then a separate license must be purchased for each installation of the program.

If you need additional licenses, you can purchase from our web-store here:

https://www.2brightsparks.com/store/store.php
Do any of the versions allow for a scheduled backup that would cause the laptop to power on, if necessary. Something is already doing this, but so far I've not taken the time to get to the bottom of what it is.
We do not have a scheduler in SyncBack. We rely on Windows Task Scheduler (WTS) to trigger our program on the scheduled date/time to run the tasks. You can create a schedule task for your profile under:

Modify > When > Edit Schedule settings page

Sorry, but there is no option in WTS to turn on the PC/laptop at the scheduled date/time to run the task. However, there are options to run a scheduled task as soon as possible after a scheduled time is missed or wake the computer from sleep to run a schedule task, which can be enabled under:

Modify > When > Edit Schedule > Misc setting page

Please read the help file for more details about these options. With Edit Schedule settings page opened, press F1 to open the contextual help for more details.

Thank you.
Swifty

Re: Backing up my wife's laptop

Post by Swifty »

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. It looks like I'm good to go.

As for turning the laptop on for a scheduled task, I'm probably OK in that department as well... I think that the mechanism which is currently causing this to happen is either built-in to the SONY VAIO laptop, or is part of some Windows backup mechanism. The windows mechanism never actually does any backing up because it fails. However, if I time my SyncBack backup correctly, then the laptop will always be on courtesy of whatever is turning it on, overnight, already.