Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Evaluating SyncBackPro

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
JPN

Evaluating SyncBackPro

Post by JPN »

Hi

I'm currently evaluating SyncBackPro. After a number of frustrating days evaluating other tools, it seems like this one does the job, it just works and the interface is great.

I do have some questions/comment so far:
1) Is it possible to get a log for a job while it is running? It seems like log files (I have it set to the default HTML output) are only available after the job has completed?
2) Is it possible to upload files in parallel? It seems like it only supports 1x file at a time?
3) I've noticed that one of my jobs (download from Amazon) hung overnight. It was scheduled and the name was printed in italics which I believe confirms this. However, it hung and seems not to react to any commands (stop for example). I noticed later on that it did actually stop and the log file did not reveal any details on what might have been going wrong. Thought that I'd add this comment in case there is feedback on how to debug such scenarios.

I'd thought that I'd make a comment on Amazon Cloud Drive upload speeds as I've seen it being mentioned on the forums and this is also my cloud storage provider. So far it does not seem too slow based on the estimated time left for my upload as reported by SyncBackPro, it seems to be faster than the native cloud drive client and other tools such as Syncovery which I've tried. That said, is there any update from 2BrightSparks on whitelisting SyncBackPro? Also, the parallel uploads would also improve things further.

Lastly, is there a roadmap available for where the tool will go? As I have not bought it yet and still have 20+ days available on the eval it would help to understand the future direction of the tool (I've been bitten in the past where I bought a tool only to get a notification a few month later that the new version is available as a SaS and you have to pay monthly to get access to any new features).

Thanks,
Jaco
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Evaluating SyncBackPro

Post by Swapna »

Hi,
Is it possible to get a log for a job while it is running? It seems like log files (I have it set to the default HTML output) are only available after the job has completed?
Sorry, not possible.
Is it possible to upload files in parallel? It seems like it only supports 1x file at a time?
Parallel file uploads (or downloads) is not supported with Amazon Cloud service. Note that multi-threading in SyncBackPro is only supported with cloud services that allow threaded access.
I've noticed that one of my jobs (download from Amazon) hung overnight. Thought that I'd add this comment in case there is feedback on how to debug such scenarios.
If a profile run cannot continue due to hung/stuck issues, then there are some additional steps to do to generate a support zip. I would suggest you to submit a support ticket to [email protected], so that we can provide you with instructions on how to create a support zip with debug logs for further investigation.

Thank you.
JPN

Post by JPN »

Thank you for the reply.

Is it possible to file an enhancement request to allow logs to be viewed while a profile is running?

Regarding the roadmap, would it be possible to answer that as well please?

Thanks & regards,
Jaco
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

I will forward your request to the relevant department for further review.

Regarding the roadmap - We are planning to release SyncBack V8 in 2017, but there is no ETA on when it will be available, as it is still work in progress. All new features and enhancements will be announced in the forum before the release date.

Thank you.
JPN

Post by JPN »

Hi

Thank you again for the reply.

Good to know that the next version is in the pipeline. If I buy v7 now, will I be entitled to an upgrade to v8?

Thanks,
Jaco
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

Yes, you can purchase SyncBackPro V7 license now and you will get a free upgrade to Pro V8 when it's released.

Thank you.
mickyj
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by mickyj »

Hi, if you buy V7 now you will get a free upgrade to V8 once it is released. We're working hard on releasing a beta as soon as we can and will announce all the features and upgrade paths/costs once the beta is released. But once again I'd like to stress that anyone who buys V7 now will get a completely free upgrade to V8.
JPN

Post by JPN »

Hi

Thank you for the feedback on the v8 licensing support through a v7 license.

Regarding the quote below:
Swapna wrote:
Is it possible to upload files in parallel? It seems like it only supports 1x file at a time?
Parallel file uploads (or downloads) is not supported with Amazon Cloud service. Note that multi-threading in SyncBackPro is only supported with cloud services that allow threaded access.
This is strange, as the Amazon native client supports up to 4x files at a time, and also other tools which I've evaluated such as Syncovery.

Are we talking about the same thing?
Thanks,
Jaco
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

SyncBackPro by design does not support parallel file uploads or downloads in the same profile. However, for some cloud services like Amazon S3, Azure that support multi-part upload a file can be split into smaller parts and uploaded in parallel to the server. Since Amazon Drive does not support multi-part uploads (or downloads), multi-threading is not supported with it.

If you want to upload several files in parallel, then you can follow the trick suggested in this forum post:

viewtopic.php?t=11670

Thank you