Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Files copied to Google Drive are saved as 0 bytes

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
ProfileX

Files copied to Google Drive are saved as 0 bytes

Post by ProfileX »

Is anyone else noticing files getting truncated/corrupted and saved as 0 byte files on Google Drive? I've only seen this a few times, and during that time thousands of files were copied correctly, so it's not a common problem. These sync profiles usually copy files to Google Drive, and I review the logs every time, so when something gets copied down from Google Drive it's unusual and I noticed it right away. Luckily I've spotted it each time, and the same data is being copied to Amazon Drive without this issue, so I was able to restore the file from there, but obviously this is not good.

A couple times I turned on 'Output Debug Information' and ran the profile again, but the issue didn't happen so I turned debug off. If it happens again I'll open a support ticket without the debug info and see what they can find.
Kostas
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Files copied to Google Drive are saved as 0 bytes

Post by Kostas »

Hi,

In order to get an insight of what may be going on, the support zip file must contain debug logs otherwise it won't be of any use.

Thanks,
Kostas
[2bs]
ukSamo

Post by ukSamo »

Hi Folks,

I've been testing SyncBackPro with various cloud providers to see which solution will be best for online backup, and I've come across this exact same issue with Google Drive. Basically, most files uploaded correctly, but a few random files result in 0 byte files, even though the SyncBack log shows everything transferred successfully. I noticed the issue when running a restore and comparing with the original files, then checked via Google's web interface and confirmed it's the upload that's failed.

I have debug logs, 11.1Mb in size if you could let me know how best to get them too you?

P.S. The 0 byte files seem to be random, I've uploaded this folder twice, and get the same issue but affecting different files. The same issue appears present in SyncBackPro v8.0.04 Beta.

Thanks,
Samo
Kostas
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Kostas »

ukSamo wrote:Hi Folks,

I've been testing SyncBackPro with various cloud providers to see which solution will be best for online backup, and I've come across this exact same issue with Google Drive. Basically, most files uploaded correctly, but a few random files result in 0 byte files, even though the SyncBack log shows everything transferred successfully. I noticed the issue when running a restore and comparing with the original files, then checked via Google's web interface and confirmed it's the upload that's failed.

I have debug logs, 11.1Mb in size if you could let me know how best to get them too you?

P.S. The 0 byte files seem to be random, I've uploaded this folder twice, and get the same issue but affecting different files. The same issue appears present in SyncBackPro v8.0.04 Beta.

Thanks,
Samo
Hi,

Please send them to [email protected] along with a link to this forum topic.

Thanks,
Kostas
[2bs]
ProfileX

Post by ProfileX »

I started monitoring this closely, and I decided it was Google Drive that was corrupting the files (truncating them to 0 bytes). I enabled debug output and opened a SyncBackPro ticket, and they confirmed it was not SBPro corrupting the file. Every time it happened, SBPro was updating the local file with a 0 byte file because it had changed on Google Drive. Sometimes it was difficult to tell who was at fault, but quite a few times it happened to files that had not changed in months, and I caught it right away after only one profile run, and the files were 0 bytes when I restored them from Google Drive, SBPro was just doing what it was designed to do.

Like most Google consumer services, you get what you pay for - so there's basically no support. I posted the problem to the forums and sent feedback a couple times, no reply.
Kostas
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Kostas »

Hi,

There are reports of other users over the internet (non SyncBack related) complaining about similar problems but in our case we've identified an issue which caused files being uploaded to Google Drive with zero bytes sizes. This would happen only in the case the file being throttled during upload and that's why it seemed to be random.

We've built a beta for SyncBackPro V7 which fixes the problem. You can download it from http://www.2brightsparks.com/assets/sof ... _Setup.exe

Install it over-the-top of your existing installation so it can preserve your current profiles and settings.

Thanks,
Kostas
[2bs]
wincore

Post by wincore »

Hi, i have same trouble with 0 byte size uploads and try your new 7.6.69.0 beta http://www.2brightsparks.com/assets/sof ... _Setup.exe, but it didn't find these corrupted files. Is that means, that i must find these files manually, delete it manually from Google Drive and only after that, SBP will upload these files correctly?
I have many of these 0 byte files on Google Drive!
ukSamo

Post by ukSamo »

Superb thanks. I've just installed the update and tested with around 700 files across a couple of profiles and all now transfer correctly, and when restored have identical MD5 checksums to the originals. Many thanks for your help.
ukSamo

Post by ukSamo »

@wincore I found during my previous testing that if I modify the following profile setting it then lists the zero byte files and should correct them during the next run. It may be worth you trying the same thing:

Expert (view) > Compare Options > (tick) Use slower but more reliable method of file change detection.

Kindest Regards,
Samo
wincore

Post by wincore »

@ukSamo thank you for this tip, I'm going to test it now