Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Best Practice with Profiles

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
sycon1976

Best Practice with Profiles

Post by sycon1976 »

Hey sorry if this is a double post, my first one seemed to poof.

I have an older Synology that has about 10TB of CIFS/SMB data on it that I need to move to a newer Netapp. I typically would using something like Robocopy for this, but with the amount of data I wanted to explore this tool. Essentially what I am looking to do an initial seed of the data and keep it in sync until we make a downtime cut.

I need the NTFS/ACLs to come over, not worried about shares, I will recreate them. Looking briefly as the profile options, fast backup seems like it may be a good option as they data sets are so large.

Really just looking for a best practice/tweaked settings help for creating a profile for this type of data move.

Somethings to make sure I check and some that I want to avoid would be great.

Thanks!
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Best Practice with Profiles

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

To do an initial seed of the data from Synology NAS to a new destination drive:

1. Create a Backup profile in SyncBackPro to copy data from Synology NAS to an intermediate external drive.

Due to the security changes introduced in Windows Vista (and maintained in later versions of Windows), we recommend the use of UNC paths (\\HostName\ShareName\ or \\IPAddress\ShareName\) instead of mapped drives while connecting to a remote network drives.

You can enter the credentials to connect to your network drive (if required) under:

Modify > Expert > Network settings page

and enable the option "Use the supplied username and password before trying my current username and password" under:

Modify > Expert > Network > Advanced settings page.

SyncBackPro supports copying NTFS permissions only for NTFS or ReFS files systems (other file systems are not supported). Please read this KB article for the settings that you need to configure to copy file/folder permissions from Source to Destination:

http://support.2brightsparks.com/knowle ... not-copied

Then run this profile to perform initial backup from Source to an intermediate backup drive.

2. Bring this intermediate backup drive to the new Destination location and copy files from that drive to the actual destination location using SyncBack.

3. After the initial backup process, you can create a new profile in SyncBack to backup files from your actual Source (where your primary data is stored) to new destination drive. You may need to ensure that the destination path configured in the final profile, matches exactly to the location where you have dumped your data. Otherwise, SyncBack cannot find identical data and might propose to copy everything across again.

4. Also, please note that the whole process will work only if the intermediate drive and destination drive can retain correct last modification date/time stamps, which our program uses as one of the method to detect file differences. So please test it on your end with sample data to see if this process is feasible.

Thank you.
sycon1976

Post by sycon1976 »

So i should have mentioned that the two storage systems will reside on the same network. Is there still a need for an external drive? I was hoping just to be able to copy from unc to unc and just schedule the job to run every few hours to sync the source to destination until we do a downtime cut.
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

If the two storage systems are in the same LAN environment, then you can create a single profile in SyncBack to transfer files directly from Source to Destination device (using UNC paths).

Thank you.