Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Incorrect trapping of illegal file name characters on copy to MS OneDrive

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
Roger Ashford

Incorrect trapping of illegal file name characters on copy to MS OneDrive

Post by Roger Ashford »

Hi,

I am backing up files from my PC to my Microsoft OneDrive account. SyncBack fails to copy a number of the files (several thousand, actually) because the file names include semicolons (";"): the error message in the SyncBack log includes a list of illegal file name characters and this includes the semicolon. I first assumed that MS OneDrive does not allow the semicolon, but the list of invalid characters published on the MS support website does not include the character, so I renamed a file in my OneDrive web folder to include a semicolon, and it was accepted without problem. I can only conclude, therefore, that SyncBack is erroneously testing for the character.

Can anyone confirm my assumption, and tell me when a resolution might be available?
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Incorrect trapping of illegal file name characters on copy to MS OneDrive

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

The error message:

A file name must not start or end with '.', and must not contain any of the following characters: '\', '/', ':', ';', '*', '<', '>', '|', '?’

was returned from OneDrive's API (not from SyncBackPro), our program is reporting the error back to the user. Note that SyncBackPro V7 uses old OneDrive's API, hence it failed to copy filenames that contain semicolons (;).

Therefore, I would suggest you try with SyncBackPro V8 BETA version as it uses the new API component to resolve your issue. You can download V8 BETA from here:

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12717

You can install V8 64-bit (or 32-bit) beta in its default installation location (OR) download the ‘No Install’ version of Pro V8 BETA and unzip it to a folder of your choice.

Also, I would suggest you to read the FAQ section before installing the BETA:

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12718

Note that after installing the beta version, you should create a new profile in SyncBackPro V8 to make use of the new REST API (DO NOT export or import your old profiles from V7 to V8).

Bear in mind, as SyncBackPro V8 is a BETA version, you may experience major or minor bugs during the beta testing. Therefore, use it at your own risk - 2BrightSparks Pte Ltd is not responsible for any loss or damage caused by the BETA software.

Thank you.