Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

SBP applicability to a Qnap NAS

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
des421
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

SBP applicability to a Qnap NAS

Post by des421 »

Bear with me here please. I use SBP between Windows and several Cloud storages, and a home brew NAS consisting of a USB 3.0 enclosed HD connected to a Netgear R7000 router, which is formatted NTFS and seen as a Windows Network share. But have upgraded recently to an Orbi (which is great BTW). The R7000 has been kept in the LAN as a switch for the time being which also keeps the USB connected drive (Readyshare). But I've been looking at a Qnap 251+ as a more serious NAS. It uses a dedicated Linus OS and hence the internal drives are in ext4. Would SBP (which I'm already familiar with) apply here? Frankly I don't yet grasp the concepts put forward by Qnap for backup. They may be fine, even better(?), but are up the learning curve at this point. I guess the question is, would the Qnap 251+ be seen by Windows as a Network Share like my current USB connected HD where I could save Disk Images by whatever means and run SBP profiles against portions of the NAS?

Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: SBP applicability to a Qnap NAS

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

As we haven't tested our software with Qnap 251+, I'm afraid that I can't provide a definite answer to your question (sorry, but there are many NAS devices available in the market so it’s impossible to test them all). However, if you can see and access files on Qnap 251+ using a UNC path from Windows Explorer (or File Explorer), then you can use the same path in SyncBackPro to backup files from Source to Destination.

You can also try entering the credentials to connect to your network drive under:

Modify > Expert > Network settings page

and enable the option "Use the supplied username and password before trying my current username and password" under:

Modify > Expert > Network > Advanced settings page.

However, the whole process will work only if the NAS drive retains the correct last modification date/time stamps. Note that some NAS devices may have problems trying to correctly handle Last Modified date/time file stamping, which our programs uses as one of the methods to compare files. If so, file synchronization would not be possible as your files will get stamped with 'date/time transferred to it' and there is no way to correct this. This would mean that dates/times of files between these two locations would never match, thereby making file synchronization unworkable. Therefore, I would suggest you to perform complete evaluation tests to see if it is suitable for your requirement.

I suggest you to contact QNAP support for the exact procedure to access Qnap 251+ from Windows PC (using UNC path). Sorry, but we can't provide support on how to configure QNAP with Windows as this is beyond the scope of our support.

Thank you.
des421
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by des421 »

Yes thanks, I was looking at a TS-251+ and hoping someone in the community had experience with same? I'm in the process of asking Qnap as we speak. Don't hold your breath. Trying to register at their forum left the impression they didn't actually want anyone to? Have a Username & Password... I think? But never got the email confirmation message required to activate same? Even after contacting the Administrator. I've made a pre-sales contact and did get an acknowledgment of that... in the Spam folder. The whole thing is not looking well at all.

DES
ajs
Experienced
Experienced

Post by ajs »

I have been using SyncBack with a QNAP TS-110 with the disk formatted as EXT3 for a number of years without any major issues.

Andrew.
des421
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by des421 »

Thanks,

I've spent much time determining it "should". That the actual file handling is in the transport protocols, SMB primarily, and that the ext file systems contain the same comparison data as NTFS used by SBP. You're the first response from an actual user on this and the qnap forums. Even the mfg hasn't responded to this question, giving a grave opinion of possible support? I've posted a couple replies to a SBfree user of a Sysnology unit on this forum. In the mean time I've already ordered a Qnap TS-253A (that hasn't shipped yet) in anticipation it will be fine. I'll have to comment back here on it's success when/if it's up.

DES