Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Delete obsolete files from backup

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
artk2002

Delete obsolete files from backup

Post by artk2002 »

I have a versioned backup that has gotten huge -- it takes > 1 hour to scan when trying to do a restore. I realized that there are many files on the backup that are so obsolete, that they will *never* be restored. Is it safe to just delete them from the backup or are there some hidden files that will be corrupted by doing that?
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Delete obsolete files from backup

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

To delete outdated versions files automatically from your backup drive, I would suggest you to set the options “Keep a maximum of x versions” and “Keep versions for a maximum of x day” under:

Modify > Expert > Copy/Delete > Versioning settings page

based on the number of files that you want to keep for each backup file. Then run the profile once in the manual mode (using Ctrl + R) to force the rescan of all the versioned files/folders and to delete all the excess versioned files from all the $SBV$ folder on destination.

Thank you.
andrea.de-togni

Post by andrea.de-togni »

Hi

i have this very specific issue. My versioned backup does have "max 5 versions" and "max 90 days".
However, I see the $BVS$ folders with VERY old files, like now backups of August 2016.

Even if I run the profile in manual, those files are not deleted.
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

Please note that SyncBackPro deletes outdated version files based on their versioned date/time stamps (that is the date & time when the version file was created), but not on the creation or modification date/time stamps of the version file. Therefore, if the versioned date/time stamps of the version files are not older than 90 days, then they wont be deleted from destination. You can refer to this forum post for more details:

viewtopic.php?t=12641&p=48136#p48136

In addition, please note that if a conflict occurs between ‘Keep a maximum of x versions’ and ‘Keep versions for a maximum of x days’ settings, then ‘max version’ setting will override the ‘age’ setting, and this is by the design of our software.

For example: Assume SyncBack has created 4 versions for a backup file, and the oldest version file was created 100 days ago. Now if you re-run the profile that oldest version file (which was created 100 days) will not be deleted, why because the ‘Keep a maximum of 5 versions’ rule wins when the 2 settings conflict. And this could be the other reason why older files were not deleted from your destination.

Also, please note that we have fixed a bug regarding old versioned files deletion in one of the releases of SyncBackPro V7. In case, you are not using the latest version of SyncBackPro V7.6.64.0 then please download and install the latest version from the link below:

http://www.2brightsparks.com/assets/sof ... _Setup.exe

Do not uninstall and reinstall, or you'll lose your profiles & settings. Just install 'over the top'.

After installing, run the profile once in the manual mode (using Ctrl + R) to force a rescan of all version files, and to delete excess version files from $SBV$ folders.

Thank you.
ajs
Experienced
Experienced

Post by ajs »

Swapna wrote:
For example: Assume SyncBack has created 4 versions for a backup file, and the oldest version file was created 100 days ago. Now if you re-run the profile that oldest version file (which was created 100 days) will not be deleted, why because the ‘Keep a maximum of 5 versions’ rule wins when the 2 settings conflict. And this could be the other reason why older files were not deleted from your destination.
Unless I am reading this wrong then this would appear to make no sense for a number of reasons. Also this would appear to contradict this help file.

Assuming the settings of 5 versions and 90 days, as is the earlier posts.
  1. Keep a maximum of 5 versions would have the effect of always keeping 5 versions once they have been created no matter how old the versions are. Because of this alone this would potentially mean the size of your backup could grow up to six times larger than the original files.
  2. If a version that is 100 days is not going to be deleted because there are less than 5 versions then the maximum date setting becomes totally irrelevant as the version will be deleted anyway when it becomes version number 6 based on the version rule. This is unless a version that is less than 90 days old is kept even if they are more than 5 versions, which would mean that you would have to keep more than maximum versions.
  3. If a file is deleted or renamed then any associated versions would never be deleted as there would never be anymore versions created and they would never be deleted be deleted based on date. Which would have the effect of the size of your backup continually growing until your backup device is full.
Andrew.
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Swapna »

Hi,
Assume SyncBack has created 4 versions for a backup file, and the oldest version file was created 100 days ago. Now if you re-run the profile that oldest version file (which was created 100 days) will not be deleted, why because the ‘Keep a maximum of 5 versions’ rule wins when the 2 settings conflict. And this could be the other reason why older files were not deleted from your destination.
After further testing and checking with our Technical Director, I admit my mistake and confirm that my statement above was incorrect. I’m very sorry for that, and please accept my sincere apologies.

SyncBack in each run check version files created against the ‘max number of versions’ rule and ‘age’ rule. If the total number of version files created, exceeds the ‘max versions to keep’ rule, then it deletes all the excess version files starting with the oldest version. If the number of version files created are <= to the ‘max number of versions’ set, but their versioned date/time stamps are older than ‘max age’ (set in the profile), then all those older version files will be deleted.

For example: If the user has set the max version = 5 versions and age = 90 days. Assume SyncBack has created 4 versions for a backup file (prior to the profile run), and an oldest version file was created 100 days ago. When the profile is next run it will delete that oldest version file, because its versioned date/time is older than 90 days (even though the number of version files present are < 5).

If you still experience issues in deleting outdated version files, then please submit a support zip with debug logs for further investigation. Full instructions to create and submit a support zip are given here:

http://support.2brightsparks.com/knowle ... ation-file

If your Zip is over 30MB, contact us for alternate instructions, advising the actual size. Do not try to attach to the ticket!

Do not post (nor links to) Support Zips on this open forum.

Thank you.