Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Backup or Mirror For Me?

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
Hotplate

Backup or Mirror For Me?

Post by Hotplate »

I'm trying to figure out what backing up solution is best for me:

Apart from modifying the contents of files, I tend to move files and folders around a lot for organization within my Source folder. My understanding is that the backup functionality doesn't delete any folders/files from destination that are deleted from the source folder. But will it move files/folders around within destination if I move them around in source?

If not, is there a way to have source -> destination be mirrored, but to have any modified and/or deleted files from source be stored in a separate folder outside the destination folder; this folder would act as an archive, containing all the previous versions of files that have been modified and/or deleted, likely generating folders with timestamps for organization purposes?
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Backup or Mirror For Me?

Post by Swapna »

Hi,
My understanding is that the backup functionality doesn't delete any folders/files from destination that are deleted from the source folder. But will it move files/folders around within destination if I move them around in source?
Only Intelligent Synchronization profile in SyncBackPro supports file rename/move detection. Please read this forum post for additional details:

viewtopic.php?t=12189&p=46765#p46765
If not, is there a way to have source -> destination be mirrored, but to have any modified and/or deleted files from source be stored in a separate folder outside the destination folder
You can enable Versioning on both Source & Destination under:

Modify > Expert > Copy/Delete > Versioning settings page

then SyncBackPro will create a version of a file before a file (on your Source/Destination) is replaced, deleted or moved and store the version files in a hidden $SBV$ folder within the scope of the profile's Source/Destination path. Please read the Help file for more details on Versioning. With versioning settings page opened, press F1 to open the contextual help.

Thank you.