Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

archive files based on last access time

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
puzon

archive files based on last access time

Post by puzon »

Hi. Is it possible to archive files based on lastaccesstime parameter on windows server?

i want to move old files that noone used to another location, and after next period of time to tape or something similar.

Thanks
Lukas.
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Re: archive files based on last access time

Post by cliffhanger »

Hi, there is functionality to Move files ('copy X > Y'; if successful, then delete from X' - or the converse), yes - in the Pro & SE versions.

But what is not supported is any comparison of (nor decision-making logic that is based on) LastAccessed stamps.

The only date/time-stamps of files that are 'involved' in the decision logic are

LastModified (comparison by default*, optional limiting)
Created (comparison & limiting, both optional / off by default).

* can optionally be turned off, but 'not recommended'
puzon

Post by puzon »

Do you plan to add this funcionality (last access time)? I hope this is very important to build any archive.
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Post by cliffhanger »

I don't have any plans, no - mainly because I don't work here (I'm a user)

Maybe someone from 2BS may add a comment, but they're now in beta with the new V8 & I would guess additional features are 'on hold' till at least after 'full release' of V8 (for which the 'new feature list' closed a while ago).

I also did an Advanced Search of this forum on "Last Access" (also, without the space) and found less than half a dozen threads (including this one) even mentioning the subject. Of the very few hits, none of them (except this thread) explicitly mention filtering by LastAccessed at all (they were more interested in 'preserving' than 'leveraging', I guess). Finally, two of them appear to be using the wrong term anyway (they read to me like the OPs actually meant 'LastModified').

This suggests to me that very little actual interest in preserving/using the LastAccessed attribute has been expressed to date, which may well be the reason why it hasn't been incorporated. Plus, the fact that Windows now offers at least a dozen Date-based attributes, each presumably of interest to somebody...