Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

very slow scanning

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
noamkrief

very slow scanning

Post by noamkrief »

I have almost a million files that are set to sync up with my backup server. They are images - approx 200kb in size each.
Anyway - the scan is very slow - I'm watching it, scans about 2-3 jpgs per second.

I'm using fastbackup.

Also - my source is on a \\network\share and my destination is a local drive.

is 2-3 files scanned per second normal? Any way to make it faster?
Thank you very much.
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: very slow scanning

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

Please note that SyncBack can scan/copy files as fast as the infrastructure allow us to do, and there is nothing within SyncBack to intentionally slow the scan/copy times.

In addition, the Fast Backup option available in SyncBackPro helps to reduce the scan time (and overall backup time) of a profile, when your destination is a network drive, FTP, Cloud etc. This is because in non-rescan backups (or from run#2 onwards) SyncBack will not need to scan the destination directory, as it remembers what it did the last time the profile was run (using the fastbackup database). However, SyncBack needs to scan the Source directory in each run and compare it with either Fast Backup database (in non-rescan backups) or Destination (in rescan backups) to detect file differences. Thus, you may not notice a significant improvement in scan times (with fast backup mode), as your source is a network drive and destination a local drive. Sorry, but there are no other options available in SyncBack to reduce the scan time.

If you wish you can submit a support zip with debug logs of the scan phase for further verification. Enable Output debug information from Preferences menu and run the profile in manual mode (ctrl + R). When the Differences Window is displayed abort the profile run and submit the support zip as per the instructions given here:

http://support.2brightsparks.com/knowle ... ation-file

If your Zip is over 30MB, contact us for alternate instructions, advising the actual size. Do not try to attach to the ticket!

Do not post (nor links to) Support Zips on this open forum.

Thank you.
santiagodraco
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by santiagodraco »

Swapna... does this work with Google Drive and if not why not? I ask because I made another post about the "very" slow Google Drive file scans... similar to the OP's problem, and I suggested just this (ie remember what was copied) not realizing this was how fast backup already worked.

If this doesn't work today with Google Drive why couldn't the local list of files backed up to GD be used and not rely on scanning GD at all (except when forced or maybe when wishing to update the local database of uploaded files, say once every xx days)?

Right now GD is looking to be a no go with SyncBack because of the excessively slow scans and I'm hoping there will be a solution to the problem (setting aside Google's implementation limitations).

Thanks.
santiagodraco
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by santiagodraco »

Let me ask something else...

Can someone please post the BEST settings for Google Drive to improve both scanning and uploading of a profile with thousands (10s to 100s of thousands) of files?

I see a lot of confusing information on what to do and not do and it would be great if someone could give a best practice recommendation.

My goal is to assure that backups run as quickly as possible. I don't expect a lot of changes to the folders after the initial run as I have a lot of older files that need backed up but don't get modified.

I also have some backups with large (25GB+) backup files that will change periodically. Any best practice on setting up a GD profile for these would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance :)
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

Sorry, but Fast Backup option is not supported with Google Drive. The reason why it’s not supported is explained in this forum post, which you can refer to:

viewtopic.php?t=11444

However, the new 'Delta Changes' feature implemented in SyncBackPro V8 can help in reducing the scan time of a profile run. With this feature it's possible to quickly detect the changes on the Google Drive server, since the last profile run (therefore, SyncBack does not need to scan everything on the server for changes). So, I would suggest you to test with V8 to see if it helps?

You can download V8 beta from here:

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12717

You can install V8 beta in its default installation location (OR) download the No-Install version of V8 and unzip it to a folder of your choice.

Also, I would suggest you to read the FAQ section before installing the BETA:

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12718

After installing, please create a new profile in SyncBackPro V8 and perform complete evaluation tests with Google Drive.

Thank you.
Gadabout

Post by Gadabout »

Can someone please post the BEST settings for Google Drive to improve both scanning and uploading of a profile with thousands (10s to 100s of thousands) of files?

I see a lot of confusing information on what to do and not do and it would be great if someone could give a best practice recommendation.

My goal is to assure that backups run as quickly as possible. I don't expect a lot of changes to the folders after the initial run as I have a lot of older files that need backing up but don't get modified.

I'm running V 8.5.17.0 (64 BIT)
Gadabout

Post by Gadabout »

Gadabout wrote:Can someone please post the BEST settings for Google Drive to improve both scanning and uploading of a profile with thousands (10s to 100s of thousands) of files?

My goal is to assure that backups run as quickly as possible. I don't expect a lot of changes to the folders after the initial run as I have a lot of older files that need backing up but don't get modified.

I'm running V 8.5.17.0 (64 BIT)
2nd question:
I GET 9 critical error in a 7 hour run of 30,000 emails, all due to long path length.
I've reviewed them and they are unimportant.
How can I tell the backup to ignore these 9 for future runs?
Gadabout

Post by Gadabout »

a 2nd question:

I get critical fail errors on 9 emails in my 7 hour! 30,000 email backup.
I've reviewed thwm and they are not important.
Rather than deleting them from the record however, is there a way to tell Syncback to ignore them in future backups?
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

Can you please submit a support ticket to [email protected] with your profile configuration and log files showing those errors for investigation?

Do not post (nor links to) profiles or support zips on this open forum.

Thank you.