Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Hyper-v VM backup

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
simonbr
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Hyper-v VM backup

Post by simonbr »

I have one VM in a Hyper-v that I would like to backup. I was wondering if Syncbackpro was a good solution for this? Id like to backup without having to shutdown the VM.
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Hyper-v VM backup

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

SyncBackPro can copy open/locked files, but it requires the Windows Volume Shadow-Copy Service (VSS) to be working on your PC, and that the pre-requisites for using VSS are met:

http://support.2brightsparks.com/knowle ... backse-pro

Therefore, if you want to backup VMWare files (e.g VHD, VHDX files) when VM is running, then you should install SyncBack on the same PC where those files are stored (one of the VSS requirement) and create profile/s to backup files from source to backup drive. You can also try enabling the setting "Copy all files in [Side] from the shadow volume (snapshot)" under:

Modify > Expert > Copy/Delete > Advanced settings page

which may help (or trigger) VSS-aware products to 'present a matching/coherent set of files'. Please read these forum post for additional details:

viewtopic.php?t=10940

viewtopic.php?t=9468

Thank you.
simonbr
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by simonbr »

Thank you for the reply. I had seen those post but they are a little older so I wasn't sure if there was more current news.

I have 2 questions regarding this;

1. What is the difference between the "in source" and "in destination" option? I am assuming I want to select the in source.
2. Do i have to select this option for SyncBackPro to use the VSS copy when a file is open or is it automatic?
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Swapna »

Hi,
What is the difference between the "in source" and "in destination" option? I am assuming I want to select the in source.
If the option “Copy all files in Source…” is enabled, then SyncBack will copy all files on the source drive (within the profile’s scope) from the windows shadow volume, and “Copy all files in Destination….” means it will copy the destination files from the shadow volume (which option to choose depends on the direction of copy (Source to Destination or Destination to Source) and the side that is on the local drive). Please read the help file for more details about this option, with Copy/Delete > Advanced settings page opened, press F1 to open the contextual help.
Do I have to select this option for SyncBackPro to use the VSS copy when a file is open or is it automatic?
SyncBackPro (by default) uses VSS to copy open/locked files (on the local drive when it detects such files). However, if you enable “Copy all files in Source/Destination...” options then a snapshot is taken of the drive, and all files on that 'side' are copied from the snapshot at exactly the same time.

Thank you.