Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

SBP v8 on 32bit XP

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
des421
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

SBP v8 on 32bit XP

Post by des421 »

I know XP hasn't been supported for quite some time, but v7 has been updating there anyway. Will v8 install/work there as v7 has been (without support of course!)? Is it necessary to follow the recommendations of exporting, uninstalling 7, installing 8 , and importing everything if staying on 32bit there (32bit OS)? Will the license even allow 64bit elsewhere (3 other W7 & W8.1 machines) and a left over 32bit XP installation? I haven't had any v8 beta installed so should be free of the problems of getting v7 off to move to v8... I hope? If v8 simply won't work period on 32bit XP, will v8 profiles interchange with v7 there? I.E. will a v8 exported profile import into v7, & visa versa, please?

Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: SBP v8 on 32bit XP

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

We have answered via your parallel support ticket.

Thank you.
des421
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by des421 »

Answer being, " I can try it and see"! I kind of knew that before asking "would it work"... thanks. One significant answer was forthcoming, v7 & v8 .ini's are different, requiring complete global configuration on a new v8 installation. It's very difficult to criticize such a comprehensive program. But I don't understand the difficulty of converting a 32bit installation to a 64bit installation in the installer? The upgrade fee(s) aside, that's trivial for such a great software, my decision for now is to not upgrade (or "try" v8 on XP!) because of the difficulty of upgrading on 3 other machines. I have 66 profiles, some nested 3 groups deep, and would have to create logs of all the global settings, columns displayed widths & sorting order details, logs, versioning, etc.! It would take days of use to even find some of the details! All that configuration detail stuff taken for granted over so many previous overwriting upgrades! Maybe you guys will get to a conversion installation?

des421
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by des421 »

Well, I owe somebody an apology. Couldn't stand it and went ahead and installed v8 on XP from scratch. It wasn't nearly as tough as I'd thought, and works like a champ. Previous problems with Last Access Date & Time have apparently been straighten out with Google Drive & OneDrive I noticed and that seems to be working correctly now. Generally v8 seems quicker with online stuff. Haven't done any major local scanning yet.

I pulled a cheater with the bootable XP clone. M& disabled VSS on XP over a year ago making up-keep on it tougher. So I booted the clone, uninstalled v7, installed v8, and didn't even start it. Just booted the original which had had all the profiles imported and everything(?) configured. Then ran the SyncBackPro update profile that uses the app it's self to mirror the original Program Files & App Data to the clone. That even got the registration, without having to manually go through all the importing & configuration baloney twice!

I'll tackle the W7 laptops when fresh tomorrow. But expect that to go even smoother as VSS still works there and the entire registry can just be copied to the clones there. Those only have USB 2.0 and while Windows can be tricked into booting there, performance is too poor to actually use. And those cloned disks can be easily swapped in if necessary.

I've wound up with 3 separate installations on W8.1. The internal disk, a USB 3.0 connected clone that was modified to run from USB, and a separate WinToUSB portable installation. Each of the USB connected installations can be brought up to date via the copy over technique above. I'm afraid to update the registries on these directly as I don't actually know for sure what all makes up their configurations, and treat them as separate installations. I "think" I could make one configuration change in the System Hive of the USB booting clone and bring it back to SATA, but we'll never know until that day! The newer laptops aren't really meant to have the drives changed, the entire back must be removed to get to it, and no testing is really practical unless there's just no choice.

Windows has intentionally put stumbling block after stumbling block in the way of this bootable clone capability. Until I've moved to Disk Imaging on a network drive. This has proven more practical overall. And the cloning is coming to and end. In fact... Windows may be coming to an end too! As all the existing Windows hardware becomes obsolete?