Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

64-bit SyncBackPro

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
SJMarty

64-bit SyncBackPro

Post by SJMarty »

Hello,

I am currently running SyncBackPro v7.6.64.0 on Windows 7 Enterprise Edition 64-bit. With regards to upgrading to v8.0.1.0...
  1. Is it recommended to run the 64-bit SBP on 64-bit Operating Systems?
  2. What upgrade process should I follow to go from SBP v7.6.64.0 32-bit to v8.0.1.0 64-bit?
Thank you!
morice
Advanced
Advanced

Re: 64-bit SyncBackPro

Post by morice »

Hello ..

1. Well they worked on it a while, so might as well use it. ;-)
2. Sadly i believe you need to export profiles, then uninstall. Then import back into the new v8 x64.

Also, some profiles that use the cloud might need to upgrade to the new API. Whatever that means.
I decided to start over completely and have a fresh look at things!
michael.kenward

Post by michael.kenward »

Any chance of an official response to the 64-bit question?

I bought the upgrade and just followed the instructions. I expected SyncBack, like that other invaluable utility Directory Opus, to deliver a "universal" edition that would detect the bitness of my Windows and install the appropriate version of SyncBack.

It turns out that I now have 32-bit SyncBack 8.

Is there any point in going to 64-bit? Is the previous message the way to switch to 64-bit?
morice wrote: 2. Sadly i believe you need to export profiles, then uninstall. Then import back into the new v8 x64.
I tried the FAQs, but this must be a "RAQ" (rarely asked question).
SJMarty

Post by SJMarty »

Thanks for the follow-up on my original question. I was hoping for an official response, too. I purchased it but I have not upgraded yet.
Conrad Chung
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Conrad Chung »

SJMarty wrote:Is it recommended to run the 64-bit SBP on 64-bit Operating Systems?
It's up to you if you want to install either 32-bit or 64-bit SBP on a 64-bit Windows OS. Both would work, but 64-bit does comes with some advantages like faster processing speeds and higher memory utilization. Note that the 64-bit SBP comes with a new scripting engine/component, so it cannot use VBScript scripting. You must convert your VBS scripts to the new Basic scripting language.

More details here (this page can also be found from your V8 Help file):
https://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/ ... t64bit.htm
SJMarty wrote:What upgrade process should I follow to go from SBP v7.6.64.0 32-bit to v8.0.1.0 64-bit?
If you are switching from SBP 32-bit to SBP 64-bit, then you must export your profiles, uninstall the 32-bit version, install the 64-bit version and then import your profiles.

Here are the download links for 32-bit and 64-bit versions of SyncBackPro:

http://www.2brightsparks.com/assets/sof ... _Setup.exe (32-bit)
http://www.2brightsparks.com/assets/sof ... _Setup.exe (64-bit)
morice
Advanced
Advanced

Post by morice »

michael.kenward wrote:It turns out that I now have 32-bit SyncBack 8.
For some reason a lot of software distributors make it extra difficult to find the 64-bit version.

Here too it is 'hidden' on the bottom of the downloads page where the text reads:
"A 64-bit version of SyncBackPro is also available for download."

With Firefox for example it is even hidden on a different page via "Other Platforms & Languages"
Conrad Chung
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Conrad Chung »

morice wrote:
michael.kenward wrote:It turns out that I now have 32-bit SyncBack 8.
For some reason a lot of software distributors make it extra difficult to find the 64-bit version.

Here too it is 'hidden' on the bottom of the downloads page where the text reads:
"A 64-bit version of SyncBackPro is also available for download."

With Firefox for example it is even hidden on a different page via "Other Platforms & Languages"
The installation of 64-bit to replace a 32-bit SyncBack program is not so straightforward for reasons I mentioned in my previous post. This is to avoid (or at least minimize) the number of users who may fudge up their export/import profile procedures during the switch.
michael.kenward

Post by michael.kenward »

Conrad Chung wrote: The installation of 64-bit to replace a 32-bit SyncBack program is not so straightforward for reasons I mentioned in my previous post. This is to avoid (or at least minimize) the number of users who may fudge up their export/import profile procedures during the switch.
So adopt an update procedure that detects the bitness of the installed version and then warns the user.

Other people do this.

It is worrying that the authors of a core utility like SyncBack seem incapable of adopting "best practice" on such matters.

I realise that 2BrightSparks probably buys in the installer, but if other people can do "intelligent" installers, so should SyncBack.

If you want advice on how to do this, call GPSoftware, authors of Directory Opus.
Conrad Chung
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Conrad Chung »

michael.kenward wrote:
Conrad Chung wrote: The installation of 64-bit to replace a 32-bit SyncBack program is not so straightforward for reasons I mentioned in my previous post. This is to avoid (or at least minimize) the number of users who may fudge up their export/import profile procedures during the switch.
So adopt an update procedure that detects the bitness of the installed version and then warns the user.

Other people do this.

It is worrying that the authors of a core utility like SyncBack seem incapable of adopting "best practice" on such matters.

I realise that 2BrightSparks probably buys in the installer, but if other people can do "intelligent" installers, so should SyncBack.

If you want advice on how to do this, call GPSoftware, authors of Directory Opus.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll pass your suggestion on for review.