Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Filter all pdf files but not folders without pdf files automatically!

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
hhdopy
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Filter all pdf files but not folders without pdf files automatically!

Post by hhdopy »

Hello,

On V7.650 how do I mirror all pdf files inside a big folder and its subfolders.
Mirror from local hard drive to Google Drive (G-Suite)

I have tried the following filter :

Code: Select all

*\
*\*.txt
It copies pdf files but it also create folders on destination that have no pdf files inside them !
Note: I don't want to have to manually select which subfolders have pdf files inside them !

Thanks in advance ;)
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Re: Filter all pdf files but not folders without pdf files automatically!

Post by cliffhanger »

Hi, I assume you forgot to edit the example filter (it currently shows *\*.txt)....

For the 'empty folders' issue, see here for the adjustment you need
hhdopy
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by hhdopy »

Thanks for your help. This is working. ;)
morice
Advanced
Advanced

Post by morice »

cliffhanger wrote:Hi, I assume you forgot to edit the example filter (it currently shows *\*.txt)....

For the 'empty folders' issue, see here for the adjustment you need
Oh man, that was it? I was having so much trouble with this. I had always been looking for the solution in Filters.

Let me just quote the info here for completeness sake:
Dave Wilkins wrote:Modify > Expert > Decisions-Files > Folders > top section > Do Nothing

The default is Automatic (which for a Backup profile type is 'copy anyway' because by default a Backup copies everything it finds unless it's told not to), but you can change it, as above (and/or the other options listed).

Note that as per the contextual Help on that Folders page (press F1 with page open), those settings refer to empty folders (or, by implication, folders from which nothing is copied because of filters, age limits, etc; thus the result of copying the folder would be an empty one on the Destination)

If a file is copied, any parent folder is obviously copied anyway (as somewhere to put the file...), so the settings on the Folders page will not apply.
The thing is find strange though is that by setting it to Automatic, i would assume it to automatically not bother with empty folders! Which is probably the reason that i've always looked past this setting before.

#-o

Now all we need is an option to flatten folders, or basically disable folders altogether. ; )
And yes i know why this is difficult when an actual Restore needs to be made, but not impossible!

And honestly i wouldn't mind the Restore function to be disabled for flat mode.
It doesn't always have to be automatic. Sometimes Restore wouldn't even work with certain types of backups anyway.

[-o<