Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Empty Folders skipped on Amazon S3

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
ProfileX

Empty Folders skipped on Amazon S3

Post by ProfileX »

Is there a way to create an empty folder structure on Amazon S3? When the profile runs, the Differences screen shows them all as Skip and the action can't be changed. When I modify the profile, the UI won't allow the option under Decisions/Folders to be enabled, but I have empty folders in my S3 bucket. Other apps can create them, and AWS web console can do it. Any ideas?
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Empty Folders skipped on Amazon S3

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

There is no folder concept in Amazon S3 (and other cloud services like Azure, Google Storage etc.,). S3 stores data as objects. When you upload an object to S3 server, the name of the object itself contains the actual path to the file e.g. \Folder1\Folder\MyFile.txt, thus it allows to create a virtual folder structure on the server.

In case, you want to create an empty folder on S3 then a hidden object with full path to the file must be created, hence this option is not supported with SyncBackPro. Please refer to this link for additional details:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/452 ... -in-aws-s3

Thank you.
ProfileX

Post by ProfileX »

Yes, I understand that the folder is actually an empty file, but that's just semantics and doesn't address the issue. Every cloud service has idiosyncrasies and this is just one of them, why not support folders like other apps do? Even the bare bones AWS admin console can create folders, why can't SBPro support this?
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

I will pass your request to the relevant department for further review and consideration.

Thank you.
ProfileX

Post by ProfileX »

Thanks!