Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Best way to keep destination clean?

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
elliottmarter

Best way to keep destination clean?

Post by elliottmarter »

I have been playing around with the "delete file from dest if not in source and has not been modified in x days".

I have however realised that given this scenario

User accidentally deletes folder of work with docs that are very old but very important and doesnt tell me that day

then the data will also be removed from the backup! (because the date modified is ages ago)

How can I have it so it only removes files x amount of days after the files in the source are deleted...is that possible?

Cheers
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Best way to keep destination clean?

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

Sorry, there is no option in SyncBackPro to delete destination files X amount of days after it is deleted from Source. However, you can enable Versioning option in SyncBackPro (under: Modify > Expert > Copy/Delete > Versioning settings page) to create versions of a file before a file on your Destination is deleted, replaced or moved and save them in the $SBV$ folder within the scope of the profile's Destination path. So, you can simply restore source/destination files from version files if required. You can also configure the options 'Keep a maximum of x versions' and 'Keep versions for a maximum of x days' to specify the number of versions to keep for the maximum number of days in the same settings page.

I suggest reading the Help file for more details on Versioning. With Versioning settings page opened, press F1 to open the contextual help.

Thank you.
Engztrom
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Engztrom »

I have also been longing for such a feature, but realize it would be difficult to implement since there is no way to know when Windows actually deleted a certain file (I guess the Recycle Bin folder could be examined, but there is no guarantee a deleted file would be found there).

However, an easy way for the developers to implement such a feature (or at least something similar) would be an option to
"Delete file from target X days after SyncBack first detected that it was deleted from source".
That way you would at least get a minimum amount of days until the file is actually deleted, depending on how often you run SyncBack...
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

I will pass your request to the relevant department for their review.

Thank you.