Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

copy only changed files on my ftp, can i do it?

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
Giulia
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

copy only changed files on my ftp, can i do it?

Post by Giulia »

Hi
i have created a new profile to sync /backup an entire folder to dropbox ,when i click on the profile and RUN , it doesn't send any files to dropbox because i have not changed my files in the source

but with my ftp service , even my source files are not changed , synckbackpro 8 last version upload all the files to my ftp , why doesn't syncbackup pro check for example the hashes of the files in the ftp and my source and upload only the file are changed

i tried to check deeply the dropbox profile just to edit my ftp profile to work in the same way

in short , is there a way to backup to ftp only the different source file to ftp?

thanks
i read the manual ,but syncbackpro is so powerfull and sometime i got lost in the profile preferenes and manual
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Re: copy only changed files on my ftp, can i do it?

Post by cliffhanger »

it depends what the reason is for the profile finding files that look as though they need replacing. The most common reason is that the FTP server does (did) not store the LastModified date/time correctly (it may be wrong/corrupt/blank, or seconds-value is missing, or files are stamped 'as of' date/time of upload instead). You need to run the profile again (a Simulated Run will do) and check the Differences window for 'what difference' it is displaying re files you think should match, and report back. If the dates look identical on each side, check the Size values, and/or folder/filenames (especially any non-standard characters); something about the files is being reported as different, or the files SB proposes to copy would not be listed as 'Differences'...you can highlight a row in the grid and all the properties of that file (or pair of) will display in the properties pane lower left of the grid for easy cross-reference by eye.

It depends what the differences are how you might try to work around this (note: if the LastMod stamps are different, specify exactly 'how' or provide a screenshot - it might mean there is a simple solution)

Depending on the answer to the above, it might be possible to sidestep the problem using hashing, but only if the FTP server supports that (many do not, especially often the broken ones that cannot store the date/time properly). Go to the main FTP settings page of the profile and click the 'Test FTP Settings' button. The output text from the test should contain a section near the end labelled

Code: Select all

DD/MM/YYYY HH:MM:SS: Features supported by FTP server:

and a line in the output (a few lines below it) like

DD/MM/YYYY HH:MM:SS: XCRC: Yes/No
If it says 'No' (or XCRC isn't listed at all) then the FTP server does not support hashing.

There are also some textual statements at the end of the test output about things the profile has figured out for itself, such as being able to store LastModified correctly (or not); it may be useful to post most of this test output here, but you should redact the IP address of the server (and any URL quoted) and the USER name before submitting (note that the password is [hidden] already).
Giulia
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by Giulia »

cliffhanger wrote:it depends what the reason is for the profile finding files that look as though they need replacing. The most common reason is that the FTP server does (did) not store the LastModified date/time correctly (it may be wrong/corrupt/blank, or seconds-value is missing, or files are stamped 'as of' date/time of upload instead). You need to run the profile again (a Simulated Run will do) and check the Differences window for 'what difference' it is displaying re files you think should match, and report back. If the dates look identical on each side, check the Size values, and/or folder/filenames (especially any non-standard characters); something about the files is being reported as different, or the files SB proposes to copy would not be listed as 'Differences'...you can highlight a row in the grid and all the properties of that file (or pair of) will display in the properties pane lower left of the grid for easy cross-reference by eye.

It depends what the differences are how you might try to work around this (note: if the LastMod stamps are different, specify exactly 'how' or provide a screenshot - it might mean there is a simple solution)

Depending on the answer to the above, it might be possible to sidestep the problem using hashing, but only if the FTP server supports that (many do not, especially often the broken ones that cannot store the date/time properly). Go to the main FTP settings page of the profile and click the 'Test FTP Settings' button. The output text from the test should contain a section near the end labelled

Code: Select all

If it says 'No' (or XCRC isn't listed at all) then the FTP server does not support hashing.

There are also some textual statements at the end of the test output about things the profile has figured out for itself, such as being able to store LastModified correctly (or not); it may be useful to post most of this test output here, but you should redact the IP address of the server (and any URL quoted) and the USER name before submitting (note that the password is [hidden] already).
hi
thank you so much
i guess the ftp server i pay doesn't correcly the last LastModified date/time and i have click on test ftp settings and there is nothing

is there a free ftp server host just to test syncbackpro 8?

really appreciate your help
about simulate run ctrl-s i get this
again tank you so much
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Post by cliffhanger »

On the contrary, I can see no obvious difference (within the default comparison bounds, anyhow) between the LastModified stamps on your Source copies and the LastModified stamps of the corresponding (I guess - cannot read the names...) copies on the FTP server. This leaves only a difference in some more arcane attributes (or, indeed the hash values, if the profile is set to check them) or the folder\file Names (possibly due to non-ASCII characters being substituted on/by the FTP server, or similar). Unfortunately, you have chosen to redact the Names, so I can't see if there is anything obvious/suspicious. I appreciate that the Names might be confidential, but if there is at least one you can reveal (nothing redacted), I suggest you repeat the Simulated Run, find and highlight (select) that file in the main grid and supply a screenshot of the populated Properties pane below-left of the grid. It may be possible to see from that what 'difference' is triggering the re-copying.

Other than that, I can only suggest generating & submitting a Support Zip of a Simulated Run to 2BS (instructions how to generate & submit are in the linked article). This would enable 2BS to track on which basis/parameter the code made the decision to re-copy. Bear in mind the Support Zip would include the folder/file-names by default and 2BS may decline to check such a Support Zip if there have been redactions: you may be happier revealing the names confidentially (i.e. not on a semi-public forum) but if you are not happy to reveal them at all, I do not think anyone can help you further.

I'm not aware of any free FTP server for testing, sorry.
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Post by cliffhanger »

PS: I just noticed that one of the files (the last/bottom one on the Differences window screenshot) does indeed have a different Date & Time on each side. AFAICS none of the other visible files do, so I can only assume that last/bottom one was a recent/legitimate modification on 7 Feb (as shown), and thus that entry is a legitimate Difference (as opposed to all the other visible entries)