Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Backups to Google Drive are strangely slow

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
RichardLapthorn

Backups to Google Drive are strangely slow

Post by RichardLapthorn »

Hi there,

I was hoping to use Google Drive as an offsite backup solution for my home media server that is about 12TB in size.

I have noticed that when backing up via SyncBack Pro 7.6.64.0 the upload is incredibly slow, or at least much slower than uploading directly to Google Drive.

Is there a way of speeding up this process? I had thought to manually upload some of this content from my office where there is a much faster fibre line and sending it straight to Google Drive, however I found that when trying to synchronise with SyncBack Pro at home, despite the file sizes matching it wanted to overwrite the content. Is this a limitation I won't be able to work around?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
RichardLapthorn

Re: Backups to Google Drive are strangely slow

So I took another look at uploading some content directly and then seeing what happens when SyncBack pro wants to back up the same content.

The collisions appear to be the creation and modification dates (Google drive is assigning new dates once the files upload) and also attributes, as all of my files have an A marked next to them, whereas the Drive versions do not. Is there a way to have SyncBack pro ignore just dates and attributes?
RichardLapthorn

Sorry I can answer that last bit myself. I was able to turn off creation and modification date checking (despite a warning not to) and everything worked correctly, the attributes were not taken into consideration.

Therefore I can speed things up somewhat by doing the initial heavy loading of the bulk upload off site and direct to Google drive, leaving SyncBack Pro to make changes as and when they appear.

I am still curious as to whether there are any other ways to speed this process up as the new files that will be added each day may be many gigabytes in size, so I will still be face with fairly slow uploads on a daily basis.

Would I gain anything from upgrading to the latest 64bit version of SyncBack Pro?
Swapna
Expert
Expert

Post by Swapna »

Hi,
I found that when trying to synchronise with SyncBack Pro at home, despite the file sizes matching it wanted to overwrite the content. Is this a limitation I won't be able to work around?
The reason for this issue and a workaround to resolve it is explained in this forum post which you can refer to for further details:

viewtopic.php?t=13311
Would I gain anything from upgrading to the latest 64bit version of SyncBackPro?
SyncBackPro can upload files as fast as the cloud server allow us to do. But the transfer speed depends on several factors as discussed here:

http://support.2brightsparks.com/knowle ... rage-servi

Sorry, but there is no option/setting in SyncBackPro to accelerate the transfer speed with Google Drive. However, I suggest testing with SyncBackPro V8 to see if it helps as there are numerous bug fixes and improvements in V8. You can refer to SyncBackPro V8 change history here (and search for Google Drive):

https://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/changes.html

If you do not own a copy of SyncBackPro and wish to test its functions, you are welcome to try our fully functional SyncBackPro, which we offer a free 30-day evaluation.

http://www.2brightsparks.com/assets/sof ... _Setup.exe

If you do decide to purchase, the serial number will convert the 'trial' to the 'registered' version.

Thank you.
Roei T

Post by Roei T »

I upload to google drive using a virtual drive instead of directly to the cloud via syncback. it's as fast as it gets.

I installed google drive app in my workstation, because it creates a virtual drive so you can upload from your internal/external drive to the virtual drive fast (and see it too!), from there it uploads to the google drive cloud via google drive app (faster than trying to upload from the syncback app to the cloud without a virtual drive).
1.png
1.png (5.47 KiB) Viewed 4883 times