Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

settings and profiles directory consistency issues

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
scripter

settings and profiles directory consistency issues

Post by scripter »

Win10 x64, latest v8.5.

In preferences -> Settings, there should be two storage locations instead of one.
1) Storage of profiles
2) Application Settings.ini etc. Currently this one is "The settings are stored here" with no allowance to make this different from "Profile settings".

Or at the very least maintain the same, but have truly application "global" in a separate Registration.ini

Why? At the moment, it is combined into one. Which causes problems when attempting to use profiles in a different directory from command line, etc.

For example, I wish to keep the profile together with my source, which is in one bitlocker'ed VHD self mounted. Destination is another. This way, profile information, fast backup cache info, etc can be kept bitlocker'ed. But the current GUI makes the application want the app Settings.ini in the same location, so when the vhd is not mounted, SBP thinks it's a new installation, and needs to setup from scratch.

Use case example.
a) I want to use Syncback gui to make various backups, I don't care if people can tell, or if forced to unlock at a border for basic backups.
b) Two secret external thumbdrives. The profile is "JournalistSecrets" to backup from one to the other. I do not want anyone to know I have such a profile, nor it's filenames, when I travel through a border. I put the Profile onto the source disk, and use the command line -settings to identify it's location when all the VHDs on disk are unlocked. Currently, this works, but makes (a) all funky. Unless I put a totally separate NI installation on every source disk.

Summary. The option to have Profiles in a separate directory isn't well implemented. The Profile data itself (as well as associated settings, such as log file locations) should be independent of application's settings. The current GUI setting, or -settings command line co-mingles them.

thank you.
Swapna
Expert
Expert

Re: settings and profiles directory consistency issues

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion.

I will pass your request to our Development team for their review.

Thank you.
Hellzapopping

Post by Hellzapopping »

Swapna, do you have any update on this? Three years later, it still appears to me that the portable version of SBP isn't truly portable, because it insists on writing to and reading from the system drive. I have seen the advice that it is possible to change the location of the Settings files using the command line, but I can't get it to work. And no, the Help and Support pages don't give any examples.

John
Swapna
Expert
Expert

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

Note that if No-Install version is downloaded to an internal drive (e.g C drive), then it will act just like an installed version, that means setting files and profile files are stored in the local user's App data folder. However, if it is downloaded to an external drive then it works completely in a portable mode that means the setting and profile files will be stored in the same folder where the executable is stored.

SyncBackPro V9 supports storing the profiles in a specific folder provided by the user. Read the following KB article for more details:
https://help.2brightsparks.com/support/ ... 3000335966

Thank you