Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

How to assign profiles to specific (portable) drives?

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
gaius

How to assign profiles to specific (portable) drives?

Post by gaius »

I'd like to assign a profile to a specific portable hdd, regardless of the assigned drive letter.

The reason to want this is that sometime I remove that usb drive and Windows 10 reassigns it to a different drive which is should not be written to by SyncbackPro.
Is this possible?
Swapna
Expert
Expert

Re: How to assign profiles to specific (portable) drives?

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

You can use either %LABEL% or %SERIAL% (instead of a drive letter) in the profile to connect to the portable drive. Please read this KB article for the procedure to convert a drive letter into a LABEL or SERIAL variable:
https://help.2brightsparks.com/support/ ... 3000335838

Thank you.
Foxfan100

Post by Foxfan100 »

My question is related to this, but not specifically. However, it makes sense to ask it here.

I have a number of flash drives configured for backup of different parts of my user data. At present I designate the target drive with either SERIAL or LABEL. I may have 12 or more profiles, each writing to (for example) flashdrive "MYFLASH1".

Occasionally the target flash dies or gives errors, and needs to be replaced with another. At the moment, I can do one of two things:-
1) label the replacement as MYFLASH1 (but the serial will be different, so I can't use SERIAL) OR
2) label the replacement completely differently e.g NEWFLASH, and go through each profile interactively changing the target to NEWFLASH.

Question:- is there any way I can directly edit the relevant profile files (using a text editor, for example), to search for MYFLASH1 and replace it with NEWFLASH (or indeed do the same for SERIAL). This would be quicker than 2) and preferable to 1)?
Swapna
Expert
Expert

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

We don't recommend updating the profile files directly. You need to change the profile via SyncBackPro interface. Sorry for that and Thank you for your understanding.

Thank you.
Foxfan100

Post by Foxfan100 »

Swapna wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:18 am
Hi,

We don't recommend updating the profile files directly. You need to change the profile via SyncBackPro interface. Sorry for that and Thank you for your understanding.

Thank you.
Thanks. I had an idea that would be the case.