Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Encrypting file names

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
2DullWhimpers

Encrypting file names

Post by 2DullWhimpers »

Is there any way to encrypt backed-up file names, so the original file name never exists on the destination? Will this feature be considered? I know of several use cases, and I think it's a very worthwhile option to have.
2DullWhimpers

Re: Encrypting file names

Post by 2DullWhimpers »

I mentioned "encrypting file names", but my point applies to directory names as well.

I wasn't going to include use cases since they seem fairly obvious to me, but here are a couple:
  • Private information can sometimes be included in directory or file names (e.g. "Speeding ticket payment.pdf" or "Divorce filing.docx").
  • Basic security and privacy. If Google Drive (or whatever cloud storage provider is used) is ever compromised, and even if my backup data cannot ever be decrypted, I don't want anyone knowing all the user names on my PC, the name of every Word document and PDF I back up, and so on. Even knowing the user names can help compromise me.
  • A cloud storage provider could simply have employees who poke around, or who accidentally encounter private user data. I work in IT and I can state for sure that this does happen.
  • File names that reveal the presence of high-value data can give an attacker immediate motivation to try defeating the encryption.
  • Files names that identify the nature of the data can entice attackers to retain the encrypted archives indefinitely. Maybe the ZIP encryption used in SyncBackPro is secure today, but can we be sure it won't be compromised 10 years from now? Can I be sure my password won't be brute-forced in that time? I'd rather not have someone retain a backup file of mine named "2020 Taxes.zipx" for as long as it takes to access the data.
Swapna
Expert
Expert

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

SyncBackPro/SE supports encrypting filenames. Please read the 'Encrypt Filenames and Details' section of this article for details on how to enable filename encryption in SyncBack:
https://www.2brightsparks.com/resources ... ption.html

Thank you.
2DullWhimpers

Post by 2DullWhimpers »

Thanks, but I don't (and cannot) use single ZIP.
Currently, the filename encryption option in Pro/SE version is available only when single zip compression is used. This is because multi-zip has the original filename in the filename of the Zip file itself, thus defeating the purpose of encrypting the filename.
I did not want to mention it, but there is a competitor to SyncBackPro that allows file names to be encrypted, even with "multi-zip", so it is most definitely possible.
PatrickFR2

Post by PatrickFR2 »

i need this feature as well...
Swapna
Expert
Expert

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

I will pass your request to our Development team for their review.

Thank you.