Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Portable 8.9.12.0 automatically updated to v9, but...

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
rseiler
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Portable 8.9.12.0 automatically updated to v9, but...

Post by rseiler »

..."Check periodically for new versions" is and has always been off.

No one used Help/Update Check.

This is the first time that this has ever happened, as I always update manually. Based on when "SyncBackProV8 Backup" was made, it happened two days after the release of V9.2.12.0, in the middle of the night when it's scheduled to run to do a backup to Google Drive.

Clearly, in addition to making its usual backup, it updated itself that night.

Now that I've reverted, how do I stop this from happening again, since there's a loophole.

I see that the help file mentions variables, but I'd never heard of them before and have none setup.
rseiler
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: Portable 8.9.12.0 automatically updated to v9, but...

Post by rseiler »

If it helps any, this is where "upd" was mentioned in the Settings.ini from the backed-up profile."20190302" is probably the day on which I started using Pro, before I disabled update checks.
UpdCheckDays=0
LastSBFSUpdCheck=2019030220563600622
LastUpdCheck=2019030220563600638
Swapna
Expert
Expert

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

Sorry, there is no option in SyncBack to download & install newer version of SyncBack automatically on the top of the current version. Note ‘When a new version of SyncBackPro is available for download’ message appears, the user needs to click on the OK button. then download and install the version manually from the server. Without user intervention, its not possible to upgrade to the latest version automatically.

Thank you.
rseiler
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by rseiler »

That's very interesting. I know it's hard to believe, but it did happen automatically somehow. This is a single computer and I'm the only one using it.

What about in the case of when it's being run as a scheduled task, which this was? A scheduled task isn't meant to display a user prompt since it's unattended. Not that "Check periodically for new versions" was ever enabled, so I'm thinking now of some other way.

For context, the upgrade happened mid-month when it was running as a scheduled task, at its usual 3:05AM as proven by the timestamp on the "SyncBackProV8 Backup" dir (and its appearance in Google Drive at that time). Surely that timestamp is the smoking gun that a human didn't trigger it.

I only noticed it because I also run SB manually near the end of each month for an unrelated function. When I did so over the weekend, I saw that it was v9 in trial with less than two weeks left. I then investigated and found when the upgrade happened and that a backup of the profile had been made. v9 was successfully making backups since the upgrade as shown in the logs.

In summary, I don't doubt you, since you wrote it, I just hate mysteries and am trying to find a rationale explanation given the evidence.