Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Backup Google Drive to computer

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
jflatto

Backup Google Drive to computer

Post by jflatto »

I am trying to do something unusual. :D I am backing up a folder on Google Drive to my computer using Syncback Pro. I have it set up and working, version control on. The issue is that when the files such as Google Docs and Sheet files are backed up to my computer, the files have no extensions. I can manually add extensions such as .docx and .xlsx to the files and they open file in Word or Excel, but just wondering if there is any way to have the extensions automatically added. May not be possible but since when I upload an Excel file to Google Drive, it is automatically converted to Sheets format, didn't know if I could do similar the other way when backing up using Syncback Pro. I know the Excel can be added when I manually download a file.
mmullins_98
Expert
Expert

Re: Backup Google Drive to computer

Post by mmullins_98 »

I believe this has been answered previously by Swapna:

"SyncBackPro downloads the native Docs files without extensions because it sees the files as-is on the cloud server. For example: "TestFile" with just the name of the file without any extension and that is what's listed on the Cloud service. Since, there is no extension for the downloaded file, the user(or Windows) may not know exact file format(of that downloaded file) to open/view it.

However, if you rename those files with proper extension(example .doc) on Google Drive, manually(prior to the download), the files gets downloaded with extensions and can be opened/viewed automatically using their default editor."

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12222&p=46870&hili ... ion#p46870
jflatto

Re: Backup Google Drive to computer

Post by jflatto »

I apologize for the delayed reply. Thank you very much. I had done a search related to Google Drive but didn't go back to 2016. My bad. I added the extensions and things work fine now.

Thank you again.