Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Prep for clean reinstall of Windows

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
pokeefe
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Prep for clean reinstall of Windows

Post by pokeefe »

I have not seen any article on preparing for a reinstall of SyncBackPro after a clean reinstall of Windows. Should I copy the 2BrightSparks AppData\Local files, or is an export/import of the backup profiles sufficient? And what about ProgData? Is there anything there that needs to be saved, or will it be appropriately rebuild on reinstallation?

Most worrisome to me is the licensing. I've currently got SyncBackPro running on 4 computers. I believe my license allows for 5. Will this 2BrightSparks know this is a the same computer or will it count as a 5th computer. (There will be no hardware changes; it will be the same computer.) I'm not aware the SyncBackPro even checks what computer it's running on, but I don't want to unnecessarily run into my license limit. (This will probably not be the last clean reinstall of Windows that I have to do.)
morice
Advanced
Advanced

Re: Prep for clean reinstall of Windows

Post by morice »

It never hurts to backup your whole AppData folder when doing a clean install. You have a great program to do so! But you know best if there are any 'global' program settings that you've spend some time on. Check the things in the hamburger menu on the top left. And maybe the logs are important to you. If there is a ransomware detection file it doesn't really matter i think you can just create a new one.

Most anything else that you see in the Profile Setup is in the profiles as far as i know. Not sure about the History tab, or Shared Settings. Had no issues putting everything back myself, though i always like to revisit things when doing a clean install.
pokeefe
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by pokeefe »

It's well over a year since I asked that question and I'm going to ask it again ... this time with hopefully more clarity.

Is there anything I need to do to make sure SyncBackPro works correctly after a clean reinstall of Windows? I know I can use SyncBack to backup AppData. Thats not my question. Is it safe and sufficient to restore the SyncBackPro AppData after the clean reinstall to get the same SyncBack schedules, etc? I see there's also some SyncBack ProgData. do I need to recover that, too?

Too bad I didn't make notes the .last time I did a clean reinstall. I apparently got SyncBackPro working again.
mmullins_98
Expert
Expert

Post by mmullins_98 »

This article might provide some help but doesn't address all of your concerns:
https://help.2brightsparks.com/support/ ... to-another
pokeefe
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by pokeefe »

Thank you. That link certainly shows how to save and restore my profiles. I still don't know if 2BrightSparks will think the activation is for a the same old computer or a new one. My reinstallation in 2020 worked but I have only 4 computers so I don't know if that reinstallationwas treated as reactivation of one of the 4 computers or a new computer. I guess I will know soon. If the next clean reinstall looks like a new computer to 2BrightSparks then it will appear to be my 6th computer and activation will fail.

I wish I could find a good reference for this. I can't be the first person to run into this situation.