Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Help with Amazon / Backup method

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
b4075

Help with Amazon / Backup method

Post by b4075 »

I am looking to alter my backup system so that I have protection against ransomwear. I currently use Syncback to create a straight duplicate copy on Amazon S3, but I feel this does not offer much protection in regard to ransomwear, and I am also finding costs a bit high now that I am backing up more content to S3. I have 100's of Gigs of files, and have also noticed that scanning the file system with S3 is a horridly slow process.

So, my thought was to change to creating full versioned backups. So, say weekly I do a full backup named backup.2020-10-26.zip, and then I set a lifecycle which only keeps files newer than x days.

I see that both Syncback and Amazon support file versioning, and I am not sure what benefit there is to that method versus just using dated unique file names.

I was also hoping to cut cost by moving from S3 IA to Glacier. I have seen the article at https://www.2brightsparks.com/resources/articles/amazon-glacier.html, but I find this to not really explain what I should do. It also says to not use Glacier for backup, does this mean for copying individual files, or does it also apply in my scenario where I would be uploading full backups that never change?

I also cannot figure out how to configure S3 to use Glacier. The "Cloud" options on a backup profile are a bit confusing. I am required to select a bucket on the first tab, but on the second tab I can pick Glacier, but it doesn't list my vaults. So am I required to transfer it to S3 first and then have s3 policies move it to Glacier?

I also would be interested in knowing if incremental backups would be a better option.

In summary, I am not really sure the "best" way to accomplish what I want.

Brad
SyncBackPro V9.4.2.15 (64-bit)
Windows 10 Home