Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Issue with settings backup

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
Roaster
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Issue with settings backup

Post by Roaster »

Hi!

running SyncBackPro 9.4.1.1 (x64), I've set up the application to backup settings to a network share with path "H:\##Dokumente\!Backups\SyncBackPro\%DATE%\". The root exists of course, the variable should be inserted accordingly.
2020-11-10_143139.jpg
2020-11-10_143139.jpg (15.94 KiB) Viewed 30161 times
When existing SBP, I get an error popup for each existing profile.
2020-11-10_143324.jpg
2020-11-10_143324.jpg (10.61 KiB) Viewed 30161 times
The error says: "The system cannot find the given path". Don't know where the "(3" is from, but I guess this is the cause of this error message. The error message pops up more than once, as written above.

So, did I wrongly configure the backup path or is there something else I should consider?

Michael
Roaster
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Re: Issue with settings backup

Post by Roaster »

...maybe it's because the path does not exist for the current user which is starting SBP?

The path or better the drive letter H:, I've mentioned above, is available for USER_A which is currently logged into Win10.

When starting SBP it prompts me for user credentials and I still use USER_A but I have to re-enter my current password. I now can start any profile but when closing SBP I get those errors above.

Question is: Why does SBP prompt for a password at all. The USER_A does not have any administrator credentials. But SBP has been installed using a true admin account on Win10. Guess this is a common process when installing a software like SBP or similar.
Roaster
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by Roaster »

Tested a bit further and can report that it's not missing or wrong user credentials that cause this error.

I just re-entered global settings and used the button to select the target folder:
2020-11-10_145323.jpg
2020-11-10_145323.jpg (12.38 KiB) Viewed 30151 times
I then selected exactly the same path as written above and added the variable %DATE% again. Right after this I closed SBP and it was successfully backing up the profiles.

Next step: I started SBP again and immediately closed it again - the error came back! The path for backing up settings is still the same of course.

As a conclusion: the path and user credentials are OK, but obviously SBP mixes sthg up after a second start and any subsequent usage!
Roaster
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by Roaster »

Hm, should I better file a support ticket, since issue is not yet solved?
mmullins_98
Expert
Expert

Post by mmullins_98 »

I don't really follow all of your statements but does it work if you leave out %DATE% ? Usually Date has / characters which are not allowed in windows file or folder names.
Roaster
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by Roaster »

Yor assumption may be correct, however, date format is with dots between each part of the date, as you might notice from the hardcopy above

Since it does not matter how many dots are in a path or filename, the backup path should be correct.
mmullins_98
Expert
Expert

Post by mmullins_98 »

So does it work without the date?
What are the ##, does it work without ##?
Does it work on any other path?
Roaster
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by Roaster »

Thanks for your reply!

As written in my second posting viewtopic.php?p=52965#p52965, it seems to be an issue within SyncBack itself. Neither credentials nor the date format seems to be causing the problem.

I'm using ## in folder name to have a specific sorting of the folders in drive H:. This causes no problem in all other applications, hence, I guess not in SBP either.

In mentioned posting I said that the path and the backup works for the first time when using the path selection button on the right side, but each subsequent process fails, when restarting SBP in the meantime.

Guess I now will have to send a ticket for support staff to have a look.

Thanks!
Michael
Tellypotts

Post by Tellypotts »

Roaster wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:37 pm
Hi!

running SyncBackPro 9.4.1.1 (x64), I've set up the application to backup settings to a network share with path "H:\##Dokumente\!Backups\SyncBackPro\%DATE%\". The root exists of course, the variable should be inserted accordingly.
fmwhatsapp apk
2020-11-10_143139.jpg

2020-11-10_143324.jpg

The error says: "The system cannot find the given path". Don't know where the "(3" is from, but I guess this is the cause of this error message. The error message pops up more than once, as written above.

So, did I wrongly configure the backup path or is there something else I should consider?

Michael
I am also having the same issue and I have also searched a lot on net to find something helpful but I can not find anything helpful and now after visiting this post I am able to solve my issue thanks for starting this thread.
julie128

Post by julie128 »

Roaster wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:37 pm
Hi!

2020-11-10_143139.jpg

2020-11-10_143324.jpg

Michael
Hm, should I better file a support ticket, since the issue is not yet solved? :|
Roaster
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by Roaster »

Hi!
It is still not solved, but obviously a correct behaviour by SBP.

Issue is or might be, that when starting SBP it asks me to type in my current Windows account password. For security reasons my user is not member of any administration groups. So, when SBP asks me for my password, IMO, it is still running in my user space, isn't?
Which means all drive mappings should still be valid as long as SBP is not running in a different context.

I don't know If this may be the cause, but I can't image why SBP cannot access a path which is normally accessible w/o any issues.
OTH, I don't know if I can force SBP to run with current user credentials, cause this would probably solve this issue. At least I would like to give this a shot for some trial and error thing.
xwavetwo

Post by xwavetwo »

The path or better the drive letter H:, I've mentioned above, is available for USER_A which is currently logged into Win10.
sweety145

Post by sweety145 »

Roaster wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:26 pm
Hi!
It is still not solved, but obviously a correct behaviour by SBP.

Issue is or might be, that when starting SBP it asks me to type in my current Windows account password. For security reasons my user is not member of any administration groups. So, when SBP asks me for my password, IMO, it is still running in my user space, isn't?
Which means all drive mappings should still be valid as long as SBP is not running in a different context.

I don't know If this may be the cause, but I can't image why SBP cannot access a path which is normally accessible w/o any issues.
OTH, I don't know if I can force SBP to run with current user credentials, cause this would probably solve this issue. At least I would like to give this a shot for some trial and error thing.
Even I do have the same issue with this problem, I have been searching for many days to sort out this problem. I will get this information and will try, Hope it might work. However, if it doesn't work I will get back to it again.
EthanWinters

Post by EthanWinters »

Roaster wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:13 am
Hm, should I better file a support ticket, since issue is not yet solved?
I am still having this issue in September 2021. It's sad that ticket system is not that helpful nowadays. If anyone found the solution, please let us know.

Best regards: EthanWinters
mickyj
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by mickyj »

Hi, the "(3" is actually the Windows error code (ERROR_PATH_NOT_FOUND). It's a formatting error in the error message that makes it look like part of the filename, which it isn't. We'll fix this for the next release.

The error is because elevated processes (like SyncBackPro and SyncBackSE, but not SyncBackFree because it is not elevated) do not have access rights to mapped network drives (this is a security restriction of Windows), so SyncBackPro/SE cannot see (or access) the H: drive. With a profile you can use a UNC path (\\server\share\path) and provide credentials, so it can be accessed. However, with backup of profiles there is no ability to provide that information, so unless you can access it using the UNC path (not the drive letter) without providing credentials then it cannot be used to backup profiles to.

There's some more information here, but this is talking about using mapped network drives in profiles:

https://help.2brightsparks.com/support/ ... 3000335854