Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Filtering out MacOS-specific files

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
Malaga

Filtering out MacOS-specific files

Post by Malaga »

Hi,

I have a NAS that I use with both Windows and Mac OS. Mac OS creates certain hidden MacOS-specific files, which caused a problem during synchronization. Therefore, I wanted to filter them out. (It is a problem similar to this one here [https://www.2brightsparks.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13687&p=51202&hilit=mac+files#p51202] but more difficult due to regular files with the same scheme.)

The files that are problematic are "duplicate" files of ordinary existing files (such as image files) just with an additonional ._ at the beginning of the file name.

Here are two examples:

Regular files:
Christmas2020_01.jpg
Christmas2020_02.jpg

Hidden "duplicate" files:
._Christmas2020_01.jpg
._Christmas2020_02.jpg

I know how to set up a filter for this type of file in SyncBack Pro but there is one problem. There are actually some normal files that have this ._ at the beginning too. These are NOT supposed to be filtered out.

The only difference that I can see between the MacOS-created files and the normal files is that the MacOS-created files are hidden.

So, is there any way how I could filter out these unwanted files from the synchronization profile without affecting the normal files?
mmullins_98
Expert
Expert

Re: Filtering out MacOS-specific files

Post by mmullins_98 »

Check: "Compare Options", Attributes, "Do not copy Hidden files".
Malaga

Post by Malaga »

Thanks for the tip. Will this filter out all hidden or just the ones that also match the other criteria?
mmullins_98
Expert
Expert

Post by mmullins_98 »

My understanding is it will not copy any hidden file. "Do not copy hidden files: If enabled then hidden files are not copied."