Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Waiting after auto-close

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
johnsgp

Waiting after auto-close

Post by johnsgp »

I have a profile that auto-closes the Firefox browser before doing a fast backup. Unfortunately, it starts doing the fast backup before Firefox is fully closed meaning there are several locked files which then cause an error. I cannot find a way to make it pause after the auto-closure - only before.

I'm using v8.9.15, and couldn't see if there is a new feature for this in v10.
mmullins_98
Expert
Expert

Re: Waiting after auto-close

Post by mmullins_98 »

You might want to do the "Test" as below to make sure that auto-close is selecting correctly.

"To add a program to the list, click the Add button. You are then prompted to enter the words that appear in the application title bar of the program you want closed, or select one from the drop-down list. For example, if you want to close Microsoft Word then type Microsoft Word. An important point to remember is that it is case sensitive. For example, if you use microsoft word then it would fail. You only need to enter a fragment, i.e. you do not need to type in the exact title but just a portion of it. To be sure the setting is correct try running the program you wish to close then click the Test button."
johnsgp

Post by johnsgp »

Firefox does actually close, but it takes a few seconds to release locks. During this time, the fast backup has already started and thus builds an expectation that cannot be met. These are the errors on my last run - it's the same error message for each of the 7 files:

\Profiles\4vqzo7k9.default\cookies.sqlite-shm
\Profiles\4vqzo7k9.default\cookies.sqlite-wal
\Profiles\4vqzo7k9.default\datareporting\aborted-session-ping
\Profiles\4vqzo7k9.default\favicons.sqlite-shm
\Profiles\4vqzo7k9.default\favicons.sqlite-wal
\Profiles\4vqzo7k9.default\places.sqlite-shm
\Profiles\4vqzo7k9.default\places.sqlite-wal

Failed to copy from Source : Cannot copy file (2): The system cannot find the file specified The file may have been deleted between the time it was scanned and the attempt to copy it was made
I can avoid this by either closing Firefox myself rather than letting SyncBack do it, or I could exclude those files from the backup, but I'm not sure that such exclusions would be good, so I'd rather just have a delay in the automation.
mmullins_98
Expert
Expert

Post by mmullins_98 »

A couple of comments.
The error message says the files were there when scanned but are missing when the copy operation happens. This is different from the files remaining locked too long which could be copied even if still open by syncbackpro. Firefox does intend to delete these files and as such you could safely eliminate them. The problem though would likely reocur on different files from firefox.
Your idea to incorporate a delay may be the best approach.
I have created a batch file in the past where I used the taskkill batch command to terminate a program and added a wait command before starting the syncback profile in the bat file.
johnsgp

Post by johnsgp »

Hi mmullins_98, thank you this works for me! Apologies for the delay in trying it out but I got distracted by "life".

This is my script in case it helps others:

Code: Select all

taskkill /im firefox.exe
sleep 5
I put it in a file called Firefox-Backup-Script.bat, and it runs from the "Programs - Before" as
"C:\Users\MyAccount\Firefox-Backup-Script.bat"